Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Brougham that has suddenly developed a transmission issue. I recently had a leak in the radiator that I fixed using that DAP liquid copper stuff that you can buy at a supply store. (I almost used oatmeal) So it did the trick and the car was back up and running again. The next day, I drove it all day with no problem but in the evening, the car stopped going into what seems to me as third gear. I can get the car upto 28 -30 mph and then it starts revving and cant find the gear. If I keep revving up the rpms it'll roughly kick into the next gear and I can drive on to a higher speed. That was three weeks ago, the car has been parked since the night it happened, it's been driven a total of about 7 - 10 miles since it started.

My question is this - So I don't sound like a total idiot when I take it in:

I heard that often when there is a radiator leak (it was in the middle of the radiator in the fins ) coolant can mix with transmission fluid and that the coolant in the transmission fluid can cause this sort of thing to happen. Is that true? and is this situation as easy as flushing out the ATF and replacing the filter fluid etc?

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
The problem of mixing fluids is fairly rare but easy to check... Pull the dipstick on the transmisiion and inspect the fluid. If there is water/antifreeze mixed with the transmission fluid, it will have a milky color to it. If it is bright red everything is great. If it is dark brown or really dark red, then you have probably just worn out the clutches and a rebuild is in order.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does that mean exactly. I checked the fluid and it's pinkish red - not dirty at all. It was not milky. So in the automatic transmission (I am not a car mechanic at any stretch) ther is more then one clutch? I really don't know how it works. It's smooth into first and second - reverse is fine. Third is crap. Well, I really don't know how it works. In terms of cash what sort of price range am I looking at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
candoo said:
What does that mean exactly. I checked the fluid and it's pinkish red - not dirty at all. It was not milky. So in the automatic transmission (I am not a car mechanic at any stretch) ther is more then one clutch? I really don't know how it works. It's smooth into first and second - reverse is fine. Third is crap. Well, I really don't know how it works. In terms of cash what sort of price range am I looking at?
If it is milky in color, that means that there is anti-freeze mixed in with the trans. fluid. That you don't want. I have a 91 Brougham just as you do. These are great cars once you have all the mechanicals up to par. I'm not certain as to what your problem is but I would consult at least 2-3 different transmission shops in your area. I am in the process of replacing my transmission in mine. I am going to buy one from my local GM dealer and install it myself.

The reason I am buying it from them is because they give you a 3yr./50,000 mile warranty. I have yet to find a transmission rebuilder who can even come close to this warranty. Carry-Out cost is roughly $1100 to $1400.
Hopefully your problem doesn't require a rebuild, but if it does I would go the GM route. Especially if you plan on keeping the car for many years.

The problem with a lot of transmission shops is that they use cheap second rate rebuild kits. They will usually give you a 1 yr. warranty on parts and labor. After the warranty is up is when you could have problems and then your back to square one. I,ve done a lot of research on transmission options for my 91. The GM is the way to go. Don't rule out a transmission shop completly, it could be a simple cable adjustment or a solinoide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I like the car. it is a solid runner. I've had some big ticket items that have little to do with the engine or drive train (replaced the gas tank, front end work) As I said, I like the car, but I have to watch a strict budget. So I don't know if it's worth fixing or donating. I guess I'll get a quote and see. When you say rebuild kit, what does that mean? They get the guts of the transmission and use existing parts as opposed to putting a whole new transmission on it? What is the difference in price between a rebuild kit and a new transmission. I actually could live with a year warrenty as I hope to buy a new car next year. I'd love to get this thing running again and sell it. The local high school kids all seem to be driving different flavors of fleetwoods and broughams so I think I could recoup my loss.

My dream is to get a new or slightly used deville

·
Registered
9 Posts
candoo said:
Thanks.

I like the car. it is a solid runner. I've had some big ticket items that have little to do with the engine or drive train (replaced the gas tank, front end work) As I said, I like the car, but I have to watch a strict budget. So I don't know if it's worth fixing or donating. I guess I'll get a quote and see. When you say rebuild kit, what does that mean? They get the guts of the transmission and use existing parts as opposed to putting a whole new transmission on it? What is the difference in price between a rebuild kit and a new transmission. I actually could live with a year warrenty as I hope to buy a new car next year. I'd love to get this thing running again and sell it. The local high school kids all seem to be driving different flavors of fleetwoods and broughams so I think I could recoup my loss.

My dream is to get a new or slightly used deville
Transmission shops buy rebuild kits and use the kit to rebuild your existing transmission. Gm transmissions are also rebuilt to their specs. You cannot buy a new transmission from them for your model. Each of their transmissions are tested on a dyno. before they are shipped out.
Maybe you could find one cheaper in a salvage yard since your not going to keep the car that long.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's dead. Transmission is completely blown out. Guy said it would be a complete rebuild. $1500 - $2000 not worth t as there is other stuff waiting to go wrong. Too bad it was a fun car. I'm going to donate it. I guess I'll be heading over to the VW bug forums. See ya's people

I'll post a pic when I get home so ya'll can see the beauty of this true American Rolls Royce. Yep that's a tear rolling down my cheek.

If you live in the bay area, it's a good parts car

D

·
0 Posts
candoo said:
She's dead. Transmission is completely blown out. Guy said it would be a complete rebuild. $1500 - $2000 not worth t as there is other stuff waiting to go wrong. Too bad it was a fun car. I'm going to donate it. I guess I'll be heading over to the VW bug forums. See ya's people

I'll post a pic when I get home so ya'll can see the beauty of this true American Rolls Royce. Yep that's a tear rolling down my cheek.

If you live in the bay area, it's a good parts car
Hold up, you can try going to your local parts store and getting a rebuilt transmission. I put a rebuilt th350 in an '84 Cutlass that I bought from Discount auto parts for $400. I dont believe its a hard swap if you wanted a th350 in place of the overdrive trans but I'm sure you could get the same trans as what is in there for cheaper than going to GM. Only thing is you would have to install it yourself and if you got the time its really not that hard. BTW: my '84 Cutlass ran great for years with that tranny behind a modded 350 Chevy. I swapped out the original V6 and trans for the 350 Chevy and th350 (both motor and trans from Discount auto parts) and it ran great for years and never gave me any probs. Heres some pics of that car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It sounds like just a torque converter problem to me. This should run no more than $500, and quite possibly less. I have done this repair before with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Since it's skipping a gear I'd be guessing it's a transmission problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts