Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just went to testdrive a 93 fleetwood to see if I liked the platform, and it was basically what I expected. The steering seems like it would take about 5 turns lock to lock though. Have any of you done anything to remedy this? I am looking for anything that would take a bit of the soggy, power-assisted feel down a notch. The car handled like a drunken hippo! I know that this is not the nature of the beast, but I would like a car that handles a good deal better. Is the Lt1 significantly more powerful than the previous engine? What options come with the fleetwood? Was it pretty hard to find a nice condition one for a reasonable price for all of you, how much would you guy's ballpark a 95-96 wood w/ low miles fully loaded? Defineteley a classy car, just want a little more kick (I'd be coming from a 98 Ws.6). Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
the 94-96s had the 260 hp 330 lb ft. torque LT1. ride is the same but more ponnies under the hood. i think Hotrodsaint and a few others have done suspension mods and under the hood upgrades. i think HRS put Impala SS springs under his. im sure he'll see this so you can talk to him more about it. him or Katshot are the best two to talk to about all that. oh the 93s had 185 hp and 300 lb ft. torque TBI LO5 engine. a 95-96 can run you anywhere from 5k- as high as 15k. i have seen some pretty expensive low mileage Fleetwoods but that is because it is a rare vehicle (unless you live in Florida). only 15k were made for the 96 model year. good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
'94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250
768 Posts
Couldn't have said it better. :yeah:

...but....that '93 may be getting a little soggy in the suspenison, and could need some work to bring back it's ride stability. The FTW is a big boat, but in stock form it should handle better than you describe. With some very do-it-yourself suspension mods, it handles solid...you know, "like a rock"... hey, who said that!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
yeah my 95 roadmaster limited (same platform, just a little smaller) wasnt really a boaty handling car.....but it was EXTREMELY SOLID, and that LT1 is fast. (like a to mid to high 15 in the quarter mile stock)

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham (Sold)
48 Posts
I was raised on Trans Ams, and still own one. So yeah - I know where you are coming from.

I have a 1993. Just ran it on the 1/4. 18 seconds flat at 73mph (ugh). Fortunately that's with a 205k drivetrain, they are amazingly durable. The 1993 has the L05, pretty much the same as trucks have. The strength, from the factory, is NOT speed.

As for making the handling better, there's so much to be done. Here's what I've done...

1.) Removed that EVO garbage. I like the road fighting back, not my car. I had a dead pump so I just installed a rebuilt unit from a 1993 Caprice and removed the electronic variable orifice (EVO) variable assist entirely.
2.) Upgraded the power steering lines. I went overboard and used 6-AN stainless braided PTFE hoses. No more leaks - ever.
3.) Rebuilt the front suspension. I used PST polygraphite. I'm so disappointed I didn't go with Global West's Del-A-Lum. The ride is still so soft I know I could have gone firmer without any loss of ride quality.
4.) GOOD shocks. The stock shocks suck. The self leveling deal is amusing for a while, until it runs the battery dry from the pump constantly running to keep up with leaky air shocks :( I installed Monroe Severe Service shocks for a Caprice. Very happy. The rears I installed are the coilover load-helper design, since I do intend to tow with it.

So what else?
1.) Replace all of the body bushings. I'm going to go with aluminum here. The body can take up a lot of the slack from the limp noodle chassis.
2.) Replace the swaybars. I could pull the one from my WS6 second gen Trans Am - but I'm likely going with the Herb Adams VSE unit as it seems to be of the better quality. I'm also seeing that some companies are making very similar units for far less. I'll shop when I'm going to buy.
3.) Install some Global West lower control arms. This is subjective, but with the stock rear suspension being so dumb something needs to be done
4.) If you want a faster steering box, just get one from a used car. BE WARNED - losing power steering on these cars is DANGEROUS. I lost mine with the stock box and I could barely turn even while moving.
5.) Springs. I'm not going to lower it, but I might go a little stiffer. Just a little to quicken the respnonse of the spring/mass/damper system.

As for engines; I prefer the L05. I guess the simplicity of the TBI unit and the ease of tuning the ECM appeals to me. I have an LS1 in my '81 Trans Am, so I have plenty of bugs to chase when I feel like it. I certainly don't believe that the LT1 is worth the premium that people are trying to charge for them! I got my fully loaded Brougham for $1500 :D

It is absurd, the things I've seen B/D-bodies do. I'm in love with mine as a beautifully well behaved cruiser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts