Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 STS with only 85,000 miles on it. Drove it Sat, ran great parked Sat night. Sunday Morning, turn key, turns over but never starts. Remove Air cleaner and squirt small amount of gas in TB, car runs for a second and then quits. Looks like a fuel problem. I checked the fuses and Fuel Pump relay and they are fine. Looking under the hood, close to the fuse box is a short grey wire with a green connector that is hanging loose that has a flag that says "Fuel Pump" on it but there isn't anything it can plug into. I have the Factory service manual and can't find a reference to this wire. Anybody have a clue as to what it is and where it goes? Could the pump have gone bad overnight with no warning? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Buck

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Id guess the filter or the pump is bad..... if it was fine before, and then it just died, id say its the pump....... Now, do you have pleanty of gas (sorry it sounds stupid), but sometimes the pump wont prime right if its too low.......

Usually the pump will show signs of going bad...... IE it will either start making noise or performance will go down (IE start cutting out and stuff like that).......

Id also replace the fuel filter for good measure....... Its only like $10, might as well give it a new one.......!

So, id start out by making sure the pump primes.... get in the car, and turn the key to on (but not starting), and have someone else get in the trunk.... See if they can hear something happening..... After that, id say replace the pump.......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
BTW...... Welcome aboard....... Thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Electric fuel pumps tend to go out if run with the gas tank almost empty. They use the gas to cool and overheat if not submerged. If you were driving with the tank almost empty it's probably the pump.
If you turn on the key, but don't crank the engine, can you hear the pump? It should run for a few seconds and stop.
If not you've got the fuse, the relay and then the pump itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys, first thing I did was to add a can of gas just to be sure. I suspect the pump also, I'll have someone turn on the key while I'm in the trunk to confirm that I can't hear the pump.

BTW, this is a nice forum, just wish I didn't have to discovered it while searching for solutions to my problem.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
zonie77 said:
Electric fuel pumps tend to go out if run with the gas tank almost empty. They use the gas to cool and overheat if not submerged. If you were driving with the tank almost empty it's probably the pump.
If you turn on the key, but don't crank the engine, can you hear the pump? It should run for a few seconds and stop.
If not you've got the fuse, the relay and then the pump itself.
I forgot about that...... The gas does keep the pump cool....... And heat will kill ANY mechanical object.....

Use this as a learning tool and try not to let the tank get below 1/4......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts