Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end. I have a 1990 Sedan DeVille with a 4.5 liter TPI engine. About 3 weeks ago my GF and I went to the local bar, and came home. It was just starting to snow. My Caddy started fine and ran normally. The next day (15 degrees):crying2: , I asked my GF to warm up the Caddy while I was dressing for work. It started and ran rough for about 15 seconds then died. I had 10 gallons of gas in the tank, but neglected to add HEET to the tank which may have froze the fuel line. I added 2 bottles of HEET, and muled 4 gallons of fresh fuel (93 octane) and added that as well. Swapped out the cap and rotor (50 bucks), but still all it does is spin and sounds like it wants to catch and run, but still nothing. Now my battery is about shot, and it looks like I will have to go to the local parts store to get a new one. Any ideas? Could it be the cap mounted coil pack? HELP!:bomb:

·
Registered
2008 STS-V & 1962 Coupe Deville
548 Posts
Caddy_Daddy90 said:
I'm at my wits end. I have a 1990 Sedan DeVille with a 4.5 liter TPI engine. About 3 weeks ago my GF and I went to the local bar, and came home. It was just starting to snow. My Caddy started fine and ran normally. The next day (15 degrees):crying2: , I asked my GF to warm up the Caddy while I was dressing for work. It started and ran rough for about 15 seconds then died. I had 10 gallons of gas in the tank, but neglected to add HEET to the tank which may have froze the fuel line. I added 2 bottles of HEET, and muled 4 gallons of fresh fuel (93 octane) and added that as well. Swapped out the cap and rotor (50 bucks), but still all it does is spin and sounds like it wants to catch and run, but still nothing. Now my battery is about shot, and it looks like I will have to go to the local parts store to get a new one. Any ideas? Could it be the cap mounted coil pack? HELP!:bomb:
well actually it's a ignition coil that sits up top of the distrubutor, but i would say try and find out what the fuel pressure is on the fuel rail connection to see if it is getting fuel up front, that's the first thing i would do, ask someone on here about fuel pressure when cranking cause i don't know the correct psi for it. but that's a start!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably should have mentioned I tried starting fluid with no luck, as well as dropping a tablespoon of gas down the throttle body with the same result....nothing. It acts like it wants to start, but then it won't. Almost like there ain't enough current to excite the ignition enough to sustain it. I was going to go to the parts store today to get a new battery, but it's like a half mile away, and its in the single digits for temps. In other words too far and too damn cold to walk! I can't help but think this is electrical as opposed to fuel delivery related. It ran fine the night before all this started, and I've never had a problem with this car in the winter...still bummed as to what it could be...:confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
It could have nothing to with the cold its just a coincidence. My Fleetwood did the same thing this last summer. Just all of the sudden I started it like normal and it ran for less than a minute and then it died and wouldnt restart. If i let it sit a day it would start and die after a few seconds.

I checked the fuel by disconnecting the quick disconnect fuel line and turning the ignition to on position and it was like old faithful i know that wont tell you fuel pressure but it was enough to get it to run and idle and since it wouldnt do that i ruled out fuel.

So I went to the distributor. I had already changed the plugs and wires recently so i changed the cap and rotor to no avail. I changed the coil and still nothing. Down in the distributor is an ingnition module and i changed that and still nothing. There is still another switch and a pick up coil down in the distributor and my brother said he had the same problem with an hei befor and turned out to be the pick up coil. to change the pick up coil you have to pull the dist out and apart. by then its more work and almost as expensive as a whole new dist. so i just put a whole new dist. in and she fired right up. Of course if that doesnt work, and youve ruled out fuel it could even be something like your computer.

The point is with an ignition system like this it could be alot of things and really its just trial and error so you want to start with the cheapest stuff first. Oh and if you buy a distributor some might come with the module and some might not. so if you already bought a module and then buy a dist. just make sure what the dist. comes with so you dont have too many parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...new cap & rotor, new coil, still won't run. It cranks, and sounds like it wants to catch, but won't run. My battery is just about gone-(been pulling it out and keeping it in the house at night). Could a low battery cause it not to run? (not enough voltage/current to sustain/excite ignition) I figure I'm gonna replace the battery anyway, but I read a thread where the battery has to be strong enough to overcome the resistance of the plug wires, could this be the reason why? This is really starting to suck. My Caddy has been down 3 weeks now, and its my only car:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check the codes on your computer. If there is a code showing "no distributor input" or something to that effect, change your ignition module. It is located underneath the distributor and rotor, it has plugs in each end and it is usually held down by two 1/4 inch cap head screws. If you do replace it, make sure you apply the dielectric grease that comes with it to the bottom. You really should try and have your battery charged or replaced before you continue. I had an 89' that did this to me at least once a year! I got to be a real pro at changing the module wherever I was!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts