Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking for some advise. I am thinking about purchasing my first Caddy. 1990 Fleetwood with 285000 Km. It has a v-8 auto 305 0r 350 not sure?

Obviously this would be considered high mileage? How many km's can these things rack up on the powertrain before something goes wrong? Are these models notourious for anything inparticular?

The lot wants $2000 out the door?

The car is mint inside and out.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
643 Posts
islanddave said:
Hello All,

I am looking for some advise. I am thinking about purchasing my first Caddy. 1990 Fleetwood with 285000 Km. It has a v-8 auto 305 0r 350 not sure?

Obviously this would be considered high mileage? How many km's can these things rack up on the powertrain before something goes wrong? Are these models notourious for anything inparticular?

The lot wants $2000 out the door?

The car is mint inside and out.

Thanks
Dave
Ask if they have service records. If the oil was changed often, no reason it shouldn't last another 200,000km. And if YOU change the oil every 5000km or so, it's good insurance for the engine to last as long as possible. $2000 sounds like a good price for something that looks mint. I've never seen any car with that kind of mileage look mint, so it must have been babied.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I wouldn't buy one of those Fleetwoods with that kind of mileage on it But If you're talking about a Brougham see if you can bring it somewhere to get it looked at. That's a decent price for it but not if there's anything majorly wrong with it like if the engine or transmission are ready to die.

·
Registered
2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
643 Posts
brougham said:
I wouldn't buy a Fleetwood with that kind of mileage on it But If you're talking about a Brougham see if you can bring it somewhere to get it looked at. That's a decent price for it but not if there's anything majorly wrong with it like if the engine or transmission are ready to die.
I'm guessing it's a Brougham if it has a 305 or 350 in it.

I'll add that when you check the oil, new oil could be put in, so instead of checking the dipstick to see the quality of the oil, open the oil cap and run your finger around the inside edge of where you add the oil. Rub fingers together. Also look at the condition of the cap. If it has lots of crud, or if it's been replaced, could be a warning sign. I'm not sure. Anyone know what to look for?

Best thing is records. If they have maintenance records, specially for the beginning life of the car, that's great. A car taken care of in its early life, even if slightly abused later on, usually lasts longer than a car that was not taken car of in the beginning and then pampered. At least that's what I've noticed.

D

·
0 Posts
If its a '90 its either got the 307 Olds or the Chevy 350, huge difference there. Also you have the mileage listed in kilometers, dont know exactly what that equates to in miles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts