Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville, 2000 Chevy Tahoe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1990 Sedan DeVille, I just replaced the rear shocks with Monroe OEM air leveling ones. I have p225 16 60 tires on rims off a 200?? Deville I bought a few years ago. The issue is it scrapes both sides of the outer tire with as little as 70-100 lbs in the back seat.

I like the rims and don't want to go back to stock 15 inch wheels. What are my options? I can see scuff marks a good 1-2 inches down the sidewall of the tire. Sometimes it will rub just accelerating from a stoplight, other times its fine.

I can hear the pump come on in the drive way which is on a slight incline.
Can I upgrade to air adjustable shocks with a switch to manually increase ride height? Will new springs solve the problem, the old struts have been shot for years and I am just getting around to replacing them. Can I get by with some well placed rubber stoppers inserted into the springs?
I just did new brakes, water pump and motor mounts and rear struts. So I'm keeping the car for who knows how long. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac sedan devile
616 Posts
sounds like your springs have had it replace with variable rate springs if it still happens you might want to look in to spring spacers.

·
Registered
1990 Deville w/ 250,000 mi
280 Posts
the tires I have on my deville are 205/70 R15 which I think is the stock setup.

Since it is rubbing on the side wall maybe it is their width that is the problem?. will a 205 fit on your 16 rims? maybe like a 205/50 or 60 r16 (if such a size exists.

But you probably want to try and avoid that. In that case on the passenger side rear a-arm there is the leveling switch that tells the compressor when to come on. The little link is adjustable and you should be able to adjust it to have the compressor kick on sooner. But it will probably ride rough and handle weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts