Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HVAC blower has been working strangely for the last several weeks, now it's hardly working at all. It blows at the set speed - but at times the speed drops/stops, especially during tight cornering. Almost like I was having battery or alternator problems - which I'm not. Today it didn't work at all until, while driving, I hit a pothole and it started right up - until I turned a corner, then back to the slowing down, speeding up. Does it sound like a loose connection, relay problem, ground problem? I hope it's not the A/C Power Module (mounted in the evap core casing), it's $130! Napa also had a Blower Motor Hi-Lo Speed Relay for $15 but I can't find any info about that at all in my Deville Service Information Manual (my Caddy Bible).

Any suggestions as to where to start?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While working on my heater core today, I somewhat found the source of this problem. It's NOT the power control (with the big heat sink), it's the actual connector to the blower. I took it off and plugged it back in. While that hasn't actually fixed the problem, it has reduced it. The blower still didn't turn on so I whacked it with the handle of a BIG screwdriver and it turned right on! The next time I started the car, again it didn't turn on so I opened and slammed the hood, it started right up (like when I hit that pothole). But at least now while driving it isn't surging, cutting out, or anything while turning. Obviously something is loose in there. I wonder if it's a simple fix or if I should just replace the entire blower. Either way, I'm not looking forward to it, the blower looks like a real bitch to get out!

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Just from a very rudimentary analysis of what youve typed, it sounds to me like the motor itself is just getting old and wearing out. This would explain why smacking it would get it to go again, and why it doesnt just always cut completely out when turning but rather "slows down" on occasion. Now if its some sort of internal connection inside the blower assembly theres the real bitch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
Just from a very rudimentary analysis of what youve typed, it sounds to me like the motor itself is just getting old and wearing out. This would explain why smacking it would get it to go again, and why it doesnt just always cut completely out when turning but rather "slows down" on occasion. Now if its some sort of internal connection inside the blower assembly theres the real bitch.
Your answer seems logical and makes more and more sense come to think of it osunds like jsut wear and tear on your engine like stated....

·
Registered
44 Posts
From the description, I'd guess the brushes in the motor are just about shot. Sometimes they make good contact, other times - bad or none. Blower motors are generally not worth repairing. They are available from a good parts house, you don't have to visit the dealer for one. My score so far is 3 used Cadillacs, 2 bad fan motors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guy sounds good .I just replaced blower motor ,started running then stoped. is the problem on the other side of the connector harness ?

Big Jim said:
From the description, I'd guess the brushes in the motor are just about shot. Sometimes they make good contact, other times - bad or none. Blower motors are generally not worth repairing. They are available from a good parts house, you don't have to visit the dealer for one. My score so far is 3 used Cadillacs, 2 bad fan motors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts