Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my deville has seemingly given out on me. it started one day when i was running errands and had to get some gas. i normally put chevron in my tank but a shell was close by and was more convenient so i got gas there. then all the problems start. my car ran fine for about 20 minutes then started running rough at lights and stop signs. only small misses at first but got worst as i drove, and periodically while at a light it would surge for a moment as if it wanted to take off. when i went to go again it would sputter at first as if not getting gas and then as if a switch turned on run fine until i stopped again. i drove home and parked it but i went out again later that day. this time it would do this more often and while driving normally it would miss and backfire alot, and when i press the gas it would not go. i parked her for the night and the next morning she would start and idle rough for a few seconds and cut off. anyone have any ideas what this may be?

P.S i have had the fuel pump along with the egr valve, spark plugs, and fuel injectors changes within the last few months. the car is with a friend of mine who is a mechanic who says the diagnostic machine didnt show any problems and that the fuel pump is working fine. he has changed the map sensor with no luck. maybe this helps

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,082 Posts
Maybe water in the stations tanks. Add some isobutyl alcohol, gas drier, or 10% ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried the gas drier but it did not work. the mechanic cannot find anything wrong on the computer. he says its a sensor and will have to test them individually. any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2001 cadillac deville base
43 Posts
Man it sounds like everyone is having issues lately with "90" devilles and not just me...wish I could help but I don't know much...but i greatly appreciate everyone'e input on here...great forum!!!

·
Registered
1963 62series coupe, 1988 sedan deville
4 Posts
my 88 deville has had the same issues and has had the injectors, coil, ecm, and wires replaced and the way i have been able to fix it, which makes very little sence is to pull off the gas cap and put it back on. my dads 88 fiero has had the same problems and pulling off the gas cap has worked on it too.

·
Registered
93 deville/ 99 deville
53 Posts
hey did you also change the fuel filter? My 93 did that, until I changed my clogged fuel filter. Solved my problem instanly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the fuel filter was changed last august. as an update ive taken the deville to another mechanic(the first one did not charge me anything and recommended this other shop) i will have more updates soon when he updates me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These people changed my distributer for a hefty sum($517.19), and my catalytic converter was melted and coming out of my exhaust so i cut it off. Now my car is throwing codes E31(shorted map sensor signal),E41 Cam sensor signal problem),E52 (pcm memory reset),and E98(High RPM P/N to D/R in ISC Range). My car runs now but not perfectly and it shuts off ,seemingly, as the car warms up. Would changing out those two sensors solve the problem? And what does E 98 mean? They also told me that since my catalytic converter was so clogged that my plugs need to be replaced andmy o2 sensor needs replacing. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
didnt want to ressurect an old thread but my car is still having problems? the distributer was changed in august and it ran fine for 3 weeks then went bad again. recently someone told me that a fuse under the glove compartment could be the problem. any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
didnt want to ressurect an old thread but my car is still having problems? the distributer was changed in august and it ran fine for 3 weeks then went bad again. recently someone told me that a fuse under the glove compartment could be the problem. any ideas?
sorry I know this is a old post but did u ever figure this out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts