Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
My left foot operates a clutch. I'm betting a lot of "race car" drivers do also.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Based on the fact that we drive N* cars and they don't I'm not sure they'll have a chance to use those fancy driving techniques. I wonder if they have special radio use techniques.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,707 Posts
In automatic I definately run both right and left feet. Grew up on Thunderhill Raceway though and, like the rest of the world ;), feel that I am an excellent driver in any sort of performance-requiring situation.

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
Hello!
My first car, a opel manta automatic, could sometimes loose its ideling, so at when that happend I'd had to keep my right foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling. I was forced to use my left foot on the brake, it felt anything but natural to do that.
I know that in rally they use their left foot for braking, even in manual cars, they use the clutch only at start and at completly stops.

jolle

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Hmmm mainly right foot braking in these. Guess it depends upon the person/driver.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
hmm... its surprising how many of those i already do! 8/9 = 89%

watch your hands -- i use the manual overdrive.. only 1 hand on the wheel
side windows -- always down, if i need air i always open the back two or the sunroof
lock your doors
-- the car automatically locks the doors when you shift out of park
Back in -- i messed up my passenger side mirror once trying to back out of my driveway (tight space, had to get between a rock wall and mom's jeep). Also, my mom once backed into a car pulling out of our blind driveway, causing a lot of $ in damages. After those experiences i learned to always back into a spot so pulling out is simpiler.
Back up -- when i had my permit and was first learning to drive, my dad had me drive in reverse around my cousin's neighborhood. they live on a cul-de-sac and the area is very remote. assignment was to always stay withing 6-12 inches of the curb. drove in reverse for about an hour.
Right Foot Only -- learned to drive that way
The Fog Line -- dad taught me this trick when back when i had my permit and was out driving in the night (without the instructer) for the first time.
Lights Down -- my gf has me dim my lights in the car b/c it "looks nicer" ...:rolleyes:... its become a habit and they are now always dimmed.
Final Tip -- yes yes ... always

·
Registered
XTS 13, Deville 99
77 Posts
Good tips... didn't think about the side windows... very helpful.

My brake style depends on where I am. If I'm highway cruising on a road trip, then nope, just brake with my right. But if I'm in Manhattan, I need to brake with my left.

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
Hello!

You are absolutely right about the auto transmission use on the street. It also says or using it in competition driving.
Rallying is competition driving and use manual gearboxes or the new hand flipping type at the steering wheel.

jolle

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Re: backing up: Once you learn to drive big trucks (or even small ones with no back windows) you learn to rely on the wing mirrors a LOT more... and you put those little round "spot" mirros on all your cars.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
2 things.

1. Using left foot braking is beneficial in all types of racing. Using the brakes entering and exiting a turn can help greatly in chassis stability. It allows you to use more throttle deeper into and earlier in exiting an apex.

2. If you have side curtain air bags, the windows all up or all down is moot.

·
Premium Member
2019 RAM Rebel & 1995 Jeep Wrangler (fully built)
12,114 Posts
Re: backing up: Once you learn to drive big trucks (or even small ones with no back windows) you learn to rely on the wing mirrors a LOT more... and you put those little round "spot" mirros on all your cars.
+1

Drove a 10 wheeler truck for my father's buisness as a summer job fow a few years. Learning to use mirrors to spot a truck with a rear auger (sp?) was a must. Afterwards backing up a normal sized vehicle was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
The only time I've ever used my left foot to brake is by accident. For years I drove five speed cars. A clutch just becomes second nature and when you press that brake pedal like you would a clutch, it aint funny. Especially to the people behind you!

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,707 Posts
Yeeup. My dad drove long haul for years and then local work, driving fuel tankers and such. I used to ride with him sometimes and once in a while he'd let me drive the thing and he taught me how to back it up. 53 footer hooked up to a Century. For practice we'd go out in the horse pasture and back up in a circle. Great fun for a 13 year old kid. :D

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,232 Posts
The most successful sports racing car in history was Jim Hall's Chapparal series with a "secret" automatic transmission which later turned out to be a Chevy Powerglide modified by GM. The automatic transmission freed up the drivers left foot to operate a pedal that changed the angle of the rear wing. The car was unbeatable. After rear wings with moving parts were outlawed he built a version that used a snow machine engine to turn a cooling fan off an armored tracked vehicle to pull a vacuum under the car. The car had so much down force that it would actually stick to the ceiling. After this was outlawed he developed aerodynamic downforce techniques that are used by all competitors to this day. Ford was so desparate to get an automatic transmission for their GT40 series cars, they hired away from GM the engineer that was rumored to have designed the transmission for GM. The guy turned out to be a ringer that GM was trying to get rid of. Unfortunately the transmission he designed for Ford wound up in the experimental "J" car. The transmission seized at over 200MPH during testing and the great Ken Miles was killed.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
The most successful sports racing car in history was Jim Hall's Chapparal series with a "secret" automatic transmission which later turned out to be a Chevy Powerglide modified by GM. The automatic transmission freed up the drivers left foot to operate a pedal that changed the angle of the rear wing. The car was unbeatable. After rear wings with moving parts were outlawed he built a version that used a snow machine engine to turn a cooling fan off an armored tracked vehicle to pull a vacuum under the car. The car had so much down force that it would actually stick to the ceiling. After this was outlawed he developed aerodynamic downforce techniques that are used by all competitors to this day. Ford was so desparate to get an automatic transmission for their GT40 series cars, they hired away from GM the engineer that was rumored to have designed the transmission for GM. The guy turned out to be a ringer that GM was trying to get rid of. Unfortunately the transmission he designed for Ford wound up in the experimental "J" car. The transmission seized at over 200MPH during testing and the great Ken Miles was killed.
Eh, you just read this month's Car & Driver...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts