Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the car is at normal operating temperature and when making slight to full right hand turns, I hear and feel a bump or "thud" sound come from the underneath the car. It is powerful enough that I can feel it with my left foot on the carpet. Also when I am backing out and changing into drive, the wheel is rather difficult to turn, as if the power steering is delayed. What could be causing these problems?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Could be anything from a spring pop to a loose or corroded frame mount to an inner tie rod. It will certainly require some inspection and hans on. The ' difficult to turn sounds like a weak pump.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have an update. The sound isn't present when the car is ice cold but gets louder progressively and becomes for prevalent as the car heats up. It's a "bump" sound and feels like something knocks in and out of place. I can tell you that when a turn is made and the car will have any sort of up or down motion, I hear it loud and clear. My dealership said it was the front struts and told me that the car isn't worth replacing them, which brings me to a question. Is an '89 Fleetwood equipped with a computer ride control? I know that the computer controlled struts have an astronomical replacement cost, but again the dealership might just be alluding to its mark-up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts