Cadillac Owners Forum banner

'89 Deville Headliner Board Question

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  caramihn 
#1 ·
I'm redoing the headliner on my '89 (getting to it was a lot easier than I expected). However after taking off all the old foam off of the board and cleaning it with a soft brush, I noticed some areas of the board began peeling the bottom most layer (this is the layer that the headliner/foam is attached to, see picture in link for damage)https://i.imgur.com/ehmp73M.jpg. Should I glue this layer back or rip it off? How will this affect adhesion of the headliner?

#2 ·
Yes, that might be some trouble. I wonder if it is 'loose' like that in some other areas. if not, some 3m there before the new cover

Success requires a good solid back, and the glue on it and the fabric. Section at a time, or paper/plastic between to allow working
I think I would try gluing that, see if it holds well, its not to big an area from the pics.

Maybe 'try' another area, then a little tug to see if the whole dang thing is sound enough to hold. With new cloth/glue test it.
A very small area, maybe under something, or near an edge.

The cost is in the 'in and out' and cleaning, and I hate doing it over. It happened a few times, in the beginning.

I have had some pretty bad ones, the laminated/compressed stuff cracked/coming apart etc. And no easy replacement avail.

So, right or wrong, I have used a few fixes. Polyurethane sprayed on. Epoxy(fiberglass repair type) rolled or brushed on. Sometimes even with mat or cloth on really sad ones, sometimes you have little choice.
The problem is this stuff all makes it stiffer, and depending on the install clearances, can be a little pesky. Or A LOT.
Paint on the cardboard ones to seal them

Made a few custom ones as well. Cheap fun, but a lot of labor.

#3 ·
Do you know what the layer that's peeling is made of? It is loose in a couple more place, and I'm afraid that wrapping the new headliner onto it will make it fall off again over time. Perhaps I can peel it off and find a sheet of it somewhere else to stick it on? Or maybe I don't need it and can install the new fabric directly on the fiberglass layer below

#4 ·
I was afraid of that. I do not know exactly the 'laminate' top coating.
Maybe just heat fused FG, but it always looked to me like something sprayed on or pressed into it when molded.

The fiberglass won't hold, not enough surface 'grip', it will pull away/start sagging too soon. IMO.

Time to get creative, and it is really tough to keep it smooth, and it needs to be.

Maybe someone has fiberboard replacements?

#5 ·
I was thinking spraying some clear coat on it might give it a smooth finish. Then I remembered all the cardboard I paint when adjusting my spray gun. Paint sprayed on cardboard makes the cardboard more durable with a very smooth finish. I use those sheets of cardboard for a lot of things around the shop and have noticed over the years how the painted cardboard is much more durable than unpainted cardboard.

#6 ·
Hi all,

After some reflection and posting on an upholstery forum as well, I've decided the best course of action. I have purchased some JB Marineweld, which is good for the fiberglass backing that the headboard is made of. I will use this to repair any tears, fraying, or holes in the headboard. After this, I will trim off any portions of the layer that's been peeling. I will then add a layer of fiberglass mat over the entire bottom surface, which I will resin in. After the resin hardens, I will sand it so it's even then I will glue the new fabric on. I will keep everyone updated on the repair process and will follow up after several months to let you know how the finish holds.

#7 ·
I think that will work well, a lot of work, done just the same a few times.
Handling is a PITA, Caddys are big, and that old stuff is fragile.

A new headliner may not add $500 to the base value of a special interest car, but a missing/horrible one will destroy the value. Well worth the effort for me, I get all ADD/OCD with bad headliner, nutty feeling. haha

Helped my Pops sew up hoop/fabric for many old Cads as a kid. Good times.

#8 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread but I felt like I should update you guys and thank you for your help. This is a 10 month update. I ended up peeling as much as I could of the plastic material. I then added resin and fiberglass mat on the inside part of the headliner board. Then I sanded it. Not as smoothly as I would’ve liked since it was the day before my vacation road trip. After using the 3M 90 spray adhesive I added the foam back fabric and rolled it on. The bumps came through but that was purely my fault from not being patient while sanding, and the foam didn’t stick to one part of the backing because I overstretched it. Almost one year later, I’m proud to report the headliner is just as good as the day I put it in. With more care and precision it would’ve been perfect. Word of advice, it would help to resin both sides. Why? The headliner baseboard is held to the roof with Velcro straps, and they will rip off from the weight of the newly resined board. Resining the other side prevents these straps from ripping out.

See more @caramihai_automotive on instagram

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.