Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those with a 89-93 Deville, who might be interested in swapping gauge clusters for one with analog speedo, tach, oil pressure, coolant temp, and voltage I might have an answer....

Was poking around the junkyard and found a Park Ave Ultra, the kind that shares the body style with the Deville. Anyway, it had full instrumentation! Even including warning lights not on Devilles like low coolant level and low oil level... The cluster looked to be the exact same size as the Devilles cluster. I might go back tommorow and take a closer look if there is interest. Wiring wise, I can probably get everything on the Deville cluster to work on the Buick cluster with no modification. Voltage is no biggie. Fuel? Don't think I can make that one work. Oil pressure is easy as just screwing the Buick's sensor in. Temp might be similar. Tach is splicing a wire at the distributor. Easy stuff...
Most of it you would end up doing if adding aftermarket gauges anyway, but this will look factory to the untrained eye.

I already added a digital cluster in place of analog, Added HUD out of a Pontiac, (still suck at making fiberglass enclousures though) so I figured I might try something a little different this time...

Let me know if theres any interest. If anyone is in my area with one of these cars, a guinea pig would be nice... :lildevil:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caddyfanatic2 said:
wow, im kinda interusted, Im also interusted in HUD too, where did you get that, & what does it show?
I'll try and get a pic of the cluster today. The HUD came out of a mid 90's Pontiac Bonneville (though pretty much any Pontiac HUD is the same.) It has a low fuel light, turn indicators, High beam indicator, "Check Gauges" indicator, as well as a selection between MPH and km/h.

Crappy action pic:

REALLY crappy start up pic:

Looks 1000x better in person.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the junkyard and took some pics.

For comparison:

·
Registered
2008 STS-V & 1962 Coupe Deville
548 Posts
dude, the hud idea is awesome, can you go into more details about this cause i would definetly do something like this, how do you wire it up??????

how much was the HUD and is it just in the pontiac bonnes?????

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I too have wondered about the switching of those clusters. At my favorite junkyard back in NY, there were a few there, I could have got for $25... infact I was going to swap one into the Olds.

The Buick gauges are nice, all the info is pretty much the same.... redline on the 3800 is a little higher then the 4.9, but not an issue. 100mph speedo is nice.

I would be totally for it! the only thing that stopped me was.... the fact it probably woudln't swap right in.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
That would be awesome! Finally full instrumentation on our devilles! I had thought of this earlier, but I had never thought to use a 1989-90 Park Ave, just the 91-96 models.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
That is a cool idea, but it sucks that you would have two transmission indicators and two fuel gauges. It would have been cool if Cadillac had made the Deville Touring Sedan with a full set of gauges.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trans indicator is in the Devilles gauge cluster. You would need to glue a block off plate there. The fuel gauge is a bummer though, and its not even that useful as a gauge for other stuff, its really slow to react. could just stick a resistor on it and make it read half tank all the time though.

The HUD... well, those pics were from when I installed it in.. (flameproof undies: ON) a 91 Honda CRX. :duck: Amazingly, it wasnt that hard to install in that thing. In a Cadillac, I can almost guarantee that the wiring colors will even match up perfectly! Many people think that it is integrated into the Pontiacs instrument cluster (which is a complex setup, lots of "computer stuff" in there) The HUD is actually standalone, it just looks for basic inputs, like to be connected to the turn signal arrow in the gauges, not some weird module. I bet it would be pretty easy if someone were to try it..... ;)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I thought about what to do with an extra fuel gauge...

I dunno, I don't think it would bother me too much, I wouldn't want it on 1/2 all the time, just let it rest at E or something.

Wonder if it could be set up for transmission temp? Dosn't really need to move fast, and that would be sweet, then just open the cluster up and make a little back plate for that area with some temp readings and stuff.... SWEET!

I have been thinking about swapping my cluster to digital...

*IF* this Buick thing works, I would like to do that... more info needed.

When swapping to digital gauges though, what years do I need for it to NOT stop at 85? Also what about the mileage? I would want that to be what mine is now...

then lets say I want the analog back, how can I change the mileage on that, I know it has the theft thing built in where the white bars will go between the numbers if you try to turn it back....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Night Wolf said:
I thought about what to do with an extra fuel gauge...
I dunno, I don't think it would bother me too much, I wouldn't want it on 1/2 all the time, just let it rest at E or something.
Wonder if it could be set up for transmission temp? Dosn't really need to move fast, and that would be sweet, then just open the cluster up and make a little back plate for that area with some temp readings and stuff.... SWEET!
I have been thinking about swapping my cluster to digital...
*IF* this Buick thing works, I would like to do that... more info needed.
When swapping to digital gauges though, what years do I need for it to NOT stop at 85? Also what about the mileage? I would want that to be what mine is now...
then lets say I want the analog back, how can I change the mileage on that, I know it has the theft thing built in where the white bars will go between the numbers if you try to turn it back....

Trans temp... that's a thought. 0-90 ohms to ground is what to look for in the sensor. As far as the 85 mph thing, I know 90 is ok, but lacks the "Change oil soon" light. 89 is probably fine too, but lacks the same light. 91-93 should be good, and have the Change Oil Soon light, making them the ones to look for. Mileage is a tough one. You could change it in the cluster, if you had enough resources available to you and knew how to mess with a EEPROM. You COULD install the digital cluster, write the mileage displayed on it at installation on the back of the cluster with a sharpie or something, and then add the difference to the analog cluster. The silver bars only show up when it goes backwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts