Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I have an 88 sedan deville and someone stole it several times (more than twice). Smashed the ignition, smashed the driver side window. My beautiful caddy is ruined, but it only has 140 000 km on it and I refuse to just get rid of it. Any ideas on how I go about replacing the driver side window? Should I be getting the actual glass from an auto gass place or the wreckers? Never had to do this before. Thanks for the help people!

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Used glass is going to be cheaper and most junkyards will install it for you as well. Inspect the glass first.

You will be happier with new glass and a full-service body shop installation.

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You very much for the speedy reply. I'm going to start calling the scrap yards to find the glass. After I hammer my window frame back in.... they really did a number on it.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
I hate when people mess with cars that way....Bandits!:banghead:
Hope you get it back to new...maybe you might think of installing an alarm or use the club to deter these idiots.

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how man, but somehow, some amazing way. The guy got the club off. Now that it does not need a key to start it, more criminals are prone to take a peak.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
The club is easily defeated. They just hack saw through the steering wheel and remove the club. Best thing you can do is to install a hidden toggle switch that will ground out the ignition. When I was younger and lived in the city (and was paranoid about having my cars stolen) I installed one on every car I had. The switches where hidden everywhere from the trunk to the door jamb to under the dash, but you couldn't take the car even if I gave you the keys.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
^ Yeah, I'm probably gonna do that on my next car. What's the best way to do it, ground the fuel pump so they can't jump it?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
Well, on the old distributor ignitions I used to just ground out the ignition coil. I think you might still be able to do that on an '88. Another option would be to cut the power line to the fuel pump and run it through a toggle switch, thus interrupting the circuit when the switch is opened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts