Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 El Dorado
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please provide guidance; I am trying to replace the rear speakers in my 88 deville. The Haynes manual provides little to know guidance and i know someone has replaced there speaker. i removed the rear cushion and after that i am stuck. I do not want to start ripping and tearing stuff apart. I Love my Cadi. i just need help replacing the rear speakers. Thank you in advanced. :worship:

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Can someone please provide guidance; I am trying to replace the rear speakers in my 88 deville. The Haynes manual provides little to know guidance and i know someone has replaced there speaker. i removed the rear cushion and after that i am stuck. I do not want to start ripping and tearing stuff apart. I Love my Cadi. i just need help replacing the rear speakers. Thank you in advanced. :worship:
All I can add is when I did my 80 cdv. rear speakers I got access from inside the trunk,easy once you get in there,I dont know if 88 is the same.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
'88 is different, you have to get to them from above.

First, remove the bottom half of the seat. Push back and pull up and it will come right out.

Second, remove the top half by undoing the nuts that hold the seatbelts and the seat back. Slide the seat back up and off.

Third, remove the rear package shelf. Do not bother trying to save any of the factory mounting stuff (you will see it is held in by some cheap plastic stuff) as it will not fit any aftermarket speaker. You will have to drill holes and bolt them in. I had to on my '88 Fleetwood when I had it. It's not that hard to do because most speakers come with a template anyway.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
That's true with the cheap plastic caps that hold the rear 6x9 in . What I did as I took the rear dash out starting with the 3rd brake light and the rear carpeting comes out and I dropped the aftermarket speakers in pace but the offset is a little higher than the factory space but it beats drill upside down in the trunk

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
You don't need to remove the seat. The grille over the speaker has a tab on the side that holds it to the deck, just slide the grill over to the side a bit and it will pop up. From there its all pretty obvious. The speakers are snapped into a shaped plastic bucket that is secured to the deck, and you basically just separate the speaker from the bucket. You need to be careful with this stuff and don't get too muscular because the plastic gets brittle after all those years.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
You don't need to remove the seat. The grille over the speaker has a tab on the side that holds it to the deck, just slide the grill over to the side a bit and it will pop up. From there its all pretty obvious. The speakers are snapped into a shaped plastic bucket that is secured to the deck, and you basically just separate the speaker from the bucket. You need to be careful with this stuff and don't get too muscular because the plastic gets brittle after all those years.
They changed design from yours. There are two bolts behind the rear seat back that must be removed and the entire seat must come out to get at them.

I drilled the holes from my trunk with no problem. Use a metal drill bit at a low speed and you can punch out 4 holes in about 90 seconds.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Well that's weird. I pulled some aftermarket speakers out of a late C-body at the junkyard and it was pretty much as I wrote it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts