Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a problem with my 87' Sedan Deville 4.1L not wanting to start in the mornings, I live in Ohio and the mornings are starting to get into the 30 degree range now and when trying to start the car it just wants to crank and crank. I just installed a brand new 1000/800CCA Battery, new cap and rotor, I also use 10w-40 oil. The car starts great with no problems in the afternoon when the temp warms up a bit or all thru the summertime. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing my problem... sensors maybe?? any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vanaisa said:
I bet leaking injector/fuel system fault (pump, filter, pressure regulator)...

Thankyou for the reply vanaisa, I will try changing the fuel filter and pressure regulator later this evening.

Also, someone told me this can be caused by something making it think the car was already warmed up and not cold, what would cause this? any ideas?

Thanks,
-- Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ran the diagnostic check and came up with these 2 error codes

E38 and E52... not sure what they mean, could someone shed some light on this for me please.

Thanks,
-- Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I unhooked the battery for about 15 minutes hoping it would clear all the fault codes, even with doing that I immediatly get the E38 and E52 trouble codes back, I think it has something to do with the MAP sensor?

--Nick

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
E038 is Intake Air Sensor circuit fault - open.
ECM use IAT sensor for fuel metering tuning - so it can be part of your problem too
E052 is ECM reset - those 15 min-s without battery ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vanaisa said:
E038 is Intake Air Sensor circuit fault - open.
ECM use IAT sensor for fuel metering tuning - so it can be part of your problem too
E052 is ECM reset - those 15 min-s without battery ;)
Thanks for your help vanasia, I sure appreciate it :)

by Intake Air Sensor... are you refering to the MAT sensor? manifold air temperature....

--Nick

·
Registered
522 Posts
nickrembis said:
Thanks for your help vanasia, I sure appreciate it :)

by Intake Air Sensor... are you refering to the MAT sensor? manifold air temperature....

--Nick
Yes, its also called as MAT - same thing, just different names ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vanaisa said:
Yes, its also called as MAT - same thing, just different names ;)
OK, changed the MAT sensor, reset the codes, started the car and run it up the street and back, No check engine light and no error codes are being produced...horray!!!...but cold starts are still a bitch, I havent had time to replace the fuel injector pressure regulator or fuel filter yet, I did check the price of the regulator tho....its 106.00 bucks from GM or Autozone has rebuild kits for 29.99, not sure if the rebuild kits are any good or not???

Another thing, I was under the impression that the fuel line maintains pressure after you turn off the vehicle? about 3 or minutes after I shut it off I pushed the needle valve in next to the throttle body on the fuel line and nothing blew out like I was expecting... is that normal or should it have sprayed gas out?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
Since gasoline is incompressible (liquid), it may not splash even
under pressure unless there is a source of fluid (presence of running
fuel pump). I think you should get a gasoline pressure gauge
and measure it properly. Try to disconnect the vacuum line to the
regulator and smell inside. If there is no gasoline odor, the
regulator may be OK.

What about c'king spark plugs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
100 said:
Since gasoline is incompressible (liquid), it may not splash even
under pressure unless there is a source of fluid (presence of running
fuel pump). I think you should get a gasoline pressure gauge
and measure it properly. Try to disconnect the vacuum line to the
regulator and smell inside. If there is no gasoline odor, the
regulator may be OK.

What about c'king spark plugs?
I just wasnt sure if that fuel line was to stay pressurized is all :) and as for spark plugs... I just stuck new bosh platinums in it last friday evening when I put a new battery, ditributor cap and rotor on it. :)

I also have a cooling fan problem listed here as another post if anyone may be able to help me with that one?

Thanks,
--Nick

·
Registered
522 Posts
nickrembis said:
I just wasnt sure if that fuel line was to stay pressurized is all :) and as for spark plugs... I just stuck new bosh platinums in it last friday evening when I put a new battery, ditributor cap and rotor on it. :)

I also have a cooling fan problem listed here as another post if anyone may be able to help me with that one?

Thanks,
--Nick
I checked mine car and there was a LOT of pressure without engine running - i think it must be there, so you might have pressure regulator problems.
I am not 100% sure of it, maybe some other members can tell more about that problem....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vanaisa said:
I checked mine car and there was a LOT of pressure without engine running - i think it must be there, so you might have pressure regulator problems.
I am not 100% sure of it, maybe some other members can tell more about that problem....
Thanks Vanasia, I am not sure if I want to try the rebuild kit from autozone on the pressure regulator or not the rebuild kit is 29.99 or a new GM regulator is 106.00, I have had back luck rebuild kits in the past like on brake calipers and such and have always been weary of rebuilding things...LOL has anyone else had any luck with regulator rebuild kits? or would it be best to buy a whole new one?

I did replace the fuel line filter last night and it was nasty, way past due and it looked like to me it had never been changed... LOL and the car seemed to start just a little better this morning although it was not quite as cold as its been the last few days.

Thanks,
--Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
vanaisa said:
which vaccum line is the one that operates the fuel injector pressure regulator, I see 2 on the side of the throttle body where the regulator is at, one above the other one. The top one was a little loose so i pulled it off and checked for gas...none that i could see or smell there. I did not pull the vacuum line off below it. I did pull the upper vacuum line off while the car was running and it did NOT change the idle speed any?

Thanks,
--Nick

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
So, plugs must be fine...

I just noticed, does your car have TBI? I am not sure what
your engine has on it, but if it uses TBI, the fuel pressure
must be lower than that of recent cars that use Multi-Port
Fuel Injection System. Also, as far as I remember, the fuel
pressure regulator is built in the throttle body for the TBI.
If so, the way I suggested to c'k the regulator was WRONG,
I am sorry.

Recent cars have the fuel pressure regulator somewhere in
the fuel line and it my not be your case, you can c'k those as
I explained.

Sorry I am not helping you a lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
100 said:
So, plugs must be fine...

I just noticed, does your car have TBI? I am not sure what
your engine has on it, but if it uses TBI, the fuel pressure
must be lower than that of recent cars that use Multi-Port
Fuel Injection System. Also, as far as I remember, the fuel
pressure regulator is built in the throttle body for the TBI.
If so, the way I suggested to c'k the regulator was WRONG,
I am sorry.

Recent cars have the fuel pressure regulator somewhere in
the fuel line and it my not be your case, you can c'k those as
I explained.

Sorry I am not helping you a lot.
Yes this is a TBI unit and the injector pressure regulator is built into the top of the Throttle body... and dont be sorry 100 any replies or sugestions that I get to my posts are greatly appreciated whether they work or not :) as I have no experience working on cadillacs at all :(

Thanks,
--Nick

·
Registered
522 Posts
In 4,1 TBI its little tricky to check correct fuel pressure regulator readings (its better, when its done by mechanics, in repair shop)
And i think its right way to do - they can tell you about this repair set too...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts