Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 cadillac deville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have done many drum brake jobs in the past. but i recently bought this 87 cadillac deville with 89k miles on it. changed the front brakes no problem, hoses and rotors as well. i went to check the rear brakes since they probably are also in need of changing but the drum is seized to the hub. i got it to wiggle a bit with tons of pb blaster and going mortal combat style melee with a hammer on them, but i cant get them to come off all the way. any tips? first gm vehicle in my possession figured there may be a trick to these big beasts. im getting drums, shoes, springs, cylinders tomorrow. trying to save the hub if at all possible since it is still working just fine. btw do not have access to a torch or air tools.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Re: 87 Cadillac deville rear drums... HELP!

I've done shoes once, and it was more like I handed tools to my buddy and HE did the shoes. We could get it wiggle but not release, just like you are. He had to use a screwdriver (though there is a special tool that makes it easier) to spin the adjuster wheel to pull the shoes in away from the drum, only then were we able to get the drum off. If the shoes are out too far, it WON'T come off, no matter what you do. Check Youtube for some videos on going through changing rear shoes, or find a friend who has done it a few times to give you a hand. Makes things MUCH better.

Also, no matter what else you do, this isn't a suggestion, it's a freakin' ORDER: do ONE SIDE at a TIME! Go ahead and remove both drums. Take one side apart, using the side you haven't disassembled as a reference for putting the side you're working on back together. Take pictures with your cell phone as you go. It'll make a lot more sense that way!

Good luck!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,249 Posts
Re: 87 Cadillac deville rear drums... HELP!

ok, i have done many drum brake jobs in the past. but i recently bought this 87 cadillac deville with 89k miles on it. changed the front brakes no problem, hoses and rotors as well. i went to check the rear brakes since they probably are also in need of changing but the drum is seized to the hub. i got it to wiggle a bit with tons of pb blaster and going mortal combat style melee with a hammer on them, but i cant get them to come off all the way. any tips? first gm vehicle in my possession figured there may be a trick to these big beasts. im getting drums, shoes, springs, cylinders tomorrow. trying to save the hub if at all possible since it is still working just fine. btw do not have access to a torch or air tools.
-----------------------------
my guess is that the self-adjusters have the shoes tight to the drum -
and there is a ridge worn on the edge of the drum -
preventing it from getting past the shoe -

look for the oval adjuster hole on the backing plate -

you will need to slip a thin screwdriver in -
and hold the self adjuster lever away from the star wheel -

at the same time - insert an adjusting spoon -
and turn the star wheel to release the shoes enough -
to remove the drums -

-----------------------

if that just doesn't work -