Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jss27560 
#1 ·
My ex just purchased a 87 DeVille and it was running on for a few days and then it would not start. She brought it to PepBoys and after charging $70 to t-shoot it all they could come up with is it needed a MAJOR TUNEUP for $313.00 and then they could tell what was wrong with the car. I was not happy with all this and decided to try to fix it myself.

What is happening is that the car would turn over but not start. If you hold the gas pedal all the way it seems to start but it just then die. I have replaced the cap, rotor and coil all with no difference. I haven't looked at the plugs yet; the wires do not have any cracks in it and appear soft and flexible.

Any suggestions on things I should check.

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 ·
Hey Jeff - Welcome to the CadillacForums! Does the starter crank the engine? If so, I would continue on and complete the tune-up (plugs and wires, and timing check), change the fuel filter if it has not been done recently, and check the fueling system for problems.

BTW, double posting is not permitted because it causes confusion in following a problem through to it's resolution. And it's not necessary - a single post *will* almost always suffice to get some replies, and if it doesn't a "bump" is certainly permitted. So, I removed your duplicate post in the Electrical Tech section *twice* (It doesn't seem that your problem is electrical although I could be wrong :D ).

Thanks for registering and enjoy the Board. I'm sure some of the more technically minded members will be by shortly to delve deeper into your starting problem.

#3 ·
The car does turn over and it does seem to start to fire but it dies if I take my foot off the gas or leave it pressed, I have to push it all the way down. If I don't it just turns over but doean't seem to start to fire.

When I try to start the car there are a few drops of fuel and then it truns to a spray. I will contuine with the tuneup and see what happends.

Jeff

p.s. Sorry about the double posting, I think I did it again, sorry.

the Sandman said:
Hey Jeff - Welcome to the CadillacForums! Does the starter crank the engine? If so, I would continue on and complete the tune-up (plugs and wires, and timing check), change the fuel filter if it has not been done recently, and check the fueling system for problems.

BTW, double posting is not permitted because it causes confusion in following a problem through to it's resolution. And it's not necessary - a single post *will* almost always suffice to get some replies, and if it doesn't a "bump" is certainly permitted. So, I removed your duplicate post in the Electrical Tech section (It doesn't seem that your problem is electrical although I could be wrong :D ).

Thanks for registering and enjoy the Board. I'm sure some of the more technically minded members will be by shortly to delve deeper into your starting problem.

#4 ·
jss27560 said:
The car does turn over and it does seem to start to fire but it dies if I take my foot off the gas or leave it pressed, I have to push it all the way down. If I don't it just turns over but doean't seem to start to fire.

When I try to start the car there are a few drops of fuel and then it truns to a spray. I will contuine with the tuneup and see what happens.
My feeling is that you had a combination of ignition and fueling problems. Once the ignition is OK we can get you some help on the fueling - it's carbureted, right? I'm useless with those...

p.s. Sorry about the double posting, I think I did it again, sorry.
No biggie - I removed it again. :D

#5 ·
I think it is a throtal body fuel injected. One thing I forgot to mention was that the car was sitting for a while not being driven. She was driving the car for a few days before it died on her. I will try the fuel filter before I look at the spark plugs.

Thanks

the Sandman said:
My feeling is that you had a combination of ignition and fueling problems. Once the ignition is OK we can get you some help on the fueling - it's carbureted, right? I'm useless with those...

No biggie - I removed it again. :D

#6 ·
jss27560 said:
I think it is a throttle body fuel injected. One thing I forgot to mention was that the car was sitting for a while not being driven. She was driving the car for a few days before it died on her. I will try the fuel filter before I look at the spark plugs.

Thanks
Define "for awhile". If it sat long enough, it's possible the fuel is very stale, or that there is a lot of water in it. You may want to add some fuel stabilizer and/or dryer. OTOH you may need to drain the tank and add some fresh fuel...

#7 ·
For some reason 8 months sticks im my mind. Not sure if that was just sitting or the owner would start it every so often. Just had it towed home and need to get the battery charged. I will change the filter and the spark plugs while I'm waiting. I also will get some gas line cleaner.

Jeff

the Sandman said:
Define "for awhile". If it sat long enough, it's possible the fuel is very stale, or that there is a lot of water in it. You may want to add some fuel stabilizer and/or dryer. OTOH you may need to drain the tank and add some fresh fuel...

#9 ·
It's the 4.1 252 engine, it might be a fuel problem, when I removed the fuel filter there was a lot of crap (small black specks) in the fuel that came out of the filter. I got some fuel system cleaner and plan on adding it whne I get the car running.

Haven't had much time to work on it as it's been raining on and off recently plus my motivation has been low. Hopefully soon I will be able to finish it.

Jeff

2dfx said:
Maybe were looking at a fuel delivery problem here? What engine? 4.5?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.