Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Deville 4100, 95 Eldo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was sitting for 2 months with no start up, before that it was starting right up. NOw its doesn't start.:confused: It starts when i pour gas in the throttle but sputters and dies. I check the fuel pressure and its zero. I removed the fuel filter no gas spilled besides what was already in the line.:bomb: I checked the relay fuses, replaces the fuel pump, replaced the filter, still no gas.:mad2: What the heck is wrong with this car.:nono: Please help!!!!! I love my Caddy and I dont wanna see it in the junkyard.

Also i noticed a fuse labeled "GAGE" keeps blowing whenever i turn the key to the on position. Its not fuel pump related though.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
From your description, there is obviously a fuel delivery problem. I'd suspect something with the fuel pump. You mentioned that you replaced the fuel pump, but I would suspect that the wiring to the pump needs to be checked.

Did you test run the new pump before it was installed?

When you turn on the ignition (don't start the car), quickly put your ear to the fuel filler (without the cap on). You should be able to hear the pump run for a few seconds. If not, then you know where to start looking.

Maybe it's the fuel pump relay.

I wonder what is cause the blowing fuel gauge fuse to blow. Short? Miswired? Related to the problem? Coincidence?

·
Registered
87 Deville 4100, 95 Eldo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my ear to the filler and i dont hear anything so im gonna drop the tank again and check the wires. But that fuse......still a crazy puzzle. Any other solutions will still help.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'd check the fuel pump relay first before you drop the tank again. I'd trace the wires going to the pump with a voltmeter. Those lines run underneath the car. I suspect a simple electrical problem. You may very well find the problem without having to drop the tank again.

However, if you need to drop the tank again:

Drop the tank, take out the sender/pump unit. Put the tank aside. Hook up the pump to the connector on the car.

You may want to put the strainer (pump intake) in a bucket of water so you don't run the pump dry. Don't hook up the fuel hoses if you do this. Turn on the ignition. If it won't start pumping immediately, you can start troubleshooting from there. Would help to have a volt meter so you can probe voltages in the wires. Check for wire damage underneath the car.

If you do the bucket-of-water thing, make sure you drain all the water out of the pump or run fuel through it before you put everything back together. Else, you'll get a slug of water in your fuel lines.

·
Registered
87 Deville 4100, 95 Eldo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you read my mind on that one.:D I also saw on other forum sites that it could also be a BCM *(computer)* problem. I guy said he had the same trouble, so he replaced the pump and got nothing. So he posted on the forum and someone said the computer. He replaced the computer and it worked. I have ZERO knowledge of how these automobile computers work but do you think thats a problem. I also think that GAGE fuse runs to the BCM.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Maybe you can get a BCM or PCM from the junk yard as these cars are kinda old.

However, before you go through all that trouble, I'd trace the fuel pump wires all the way to the pump relay. You may have a broken wire and it shouldn't take you that long.

As for the Fuel Gauge blow its fuse, I suspect that's not a BCM problem, but it could be. I'd troubleshoot that some more before I go replacing parts like a Dealer or unscrupulous garage mechanic would do.

·
Registered
87 Deville 4100, 95 Eldo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the wires. I dropped the tank, pulled the pump and instantly saw my mistake.:helpless: It was grounded alright. I fixed it, the car fired right up, and i was so happy i drove it around the block with no tag...lol. It is running kinda sluggish from sitting, so i'll do the regular maintance. If you have any other tips i'd like the help and thanks again.:D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
YAY! Congrats!
Did you fix the "sender unit blowing the fuse" problem?
How many miles do you have on your '95 Eldo?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts