Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;
I saw this forum in my search for Cimarron information and figured it would be a good place to ask a question.
I am working on my fathers 87 Cimarron (2.8 engine) as it has a noticible loss of power and a stuttering (miss) on the lower rpms which is less noticible on the higher rpms. I replaced the wires and cleaned the plugs and it helped but still no cigar and the problem persisted.
I took a florecent light to the ignition wires at night to test the spark and noticed 4 of the wires flashed the bulb nicely while 2 of the wires made it glow but very dimly. I traced the wires back and noticed they BOTH led to the third ignition coil located on the right. I am assuming it is dead or partialy functional and causing the problem ..... is this a correct assumption and what would a new coil cost???

If the coil is dead could a forum member post a good and quick way to replace it as I noticed it is a very tight fit between the radiator and located rather low down on the engine.

Any replys and help would be greatly appriciated and thank you in adavance.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
I have never even seen a Cimarron in person, so I don't know much about them. I paid about $18 for a new coil for my 75 Deville though, so you shouldn't expect to pay much more than that unless it's an unusual design or something..

·
Registered
520 Posts
scorpius666 said:
Hi All;
I saw this forum in my search for Cimarron information and figured it would be a good place to ask a question.
I am working on my fathers 87 Cimarron (2.8 engine) as it has a noticible loss of power and a stuttering (miss) on the lower rpms which is less noticible on the higher rpms. I replaced the wires and cleaned the plugs and it helped but still no cigar and the problem persisted.
I took a florecent light to the ignition wires at night to test the spark and noticed 4 of the wires flashed the bulb nicely while 2 of the wires made it glow but very dimly. I traced the wires back and noticed they BOTH led to the third ignition coil located on the right. I am assuming it is dead or partialy functional and causing the problem ..... is this a correct assumption and what would a new coil cost???

If the coil is dead could a forum member post a good and quick way to replace it as I noticed it is a very tight fit between the radiator and located rather low down on the engine.

Any replys and help would be greatly appriciated and thank you in adavance.
Just curious, but did you run the rpm's up to see if the glow changed ?
Anyway, Autozone has your coils for 19.99 each. I've never seen what you're working on but you're probably going to have to remove alot of things you don't want to just to make room. GM never seemed to care about making things user friendly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem with my cavalier, (2.8L V6 3spd auto tranny) My problem was the coil pack, only one of the terminals on it wasnt functioning so I was running on 5 cyl. go ahead and change it...

-Al.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
amancuso