Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 87 Cadillac has been sitting for the winter. i fire it up once a month. today i noticed after starting it the check engine light was steady on. What are possible causes for the check engine light to be on that i can look into. i only had it running for 3 min when i noticed the light on, so i turned the car off. it does have oil. and fluid in rad. i dont know much of anything about cars.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
There is a connector under the dash, right in the middle.

If you short out the last 2 pins on that connector with a paper clip and turn the car to "run" (don't try to start it) the check engine light will blink diagnostic codes.

Read the FAQ/Tech thread for more info on this. That should tell you what is causing the check engine light to come on.

Common causes I've had or things to think about:
TPS adjustment.
fuel mixture adjustment.
Car has been sitting for a while...fuel can "go bad" over time...did you put any fuel stabilizer or additives in the fuel before storage? if not, try putting some seafoam or iso-heat or something similar...

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,492 Posts
First of all, you should stop starting the car in the winter (if you don't drive it). This only causes wear on the engine, and contaminates the oil. This also allows moisture to build up in the engine and exhaust system since the engine doesn't get hot enough for long enough to burn it off. Of course, if you are taking the car for a half hour drive every time, forget what I said.

For the CEL, you can check the FAQ sticky at the top of the section. It will give you links on how to find how to retrieve the code, and what code it is.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts