Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have the stock radio with tape player in my 87 FWB. Would anyone know if there is a way to put an aux piece of equipment on it (CD Player or ipod input, etc)? I do not want to get a new radio but the tape player stopped working before I got the car so I cant even get the cassette adapter. I just wanted to ask before I pull the unit out if there were any aux ports or anything on it. I would most likely just put a CD changer under the seat or ipod port or something. Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I think you would have to wire one in yourself. I've seen some tutorials on how to do it for other stock radios but never on an 87. You could get an FM transmitter thingy...basically you plug your device into that and it broadcasts the sounds to an FM station (very short distance) which you then tune your radio to.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Not endorsing or recommending this seller...but there are others who do this too.

http://postimage.org/

I have one from someone on Ebay. I had to buy an adapter plug for the one I got. Check your plug and make sure they match yours or look for adapter.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I think the FM modulator will probably be the best bet for now. Though that radio does look interesting, it's not the one I have in my 87 and I want to keep it original! Thanks again!

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Wow, that's an honest cquam AM stereo receiver!!!
Yup. Good ole UX1

(Which IMO should have been standard in these cars....am stereo, blaupunkt autosearch tape mech, 5 band eq, and (for the time) a powerful internal amp)

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Yes, tape is not "played" by the deck anymore. I basically intercepted the audio signal. Your tape mechanism should work properly, as the tape is ejected when ignition switch is closed and if you want to listen to the AM/FM world. So, start with a known good radio before your surgery:). Yes, I've also installed crossovers/EQs and amps using stock gm "Bump-Box" decks back in the day when head units were worth major cash and music was expensive to acquire.

Cheers

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood 75
345 Posts
To do a proper aux input you need to tap into the PA board on side radio that has the heat sink, there are two 1uf capacitors that is the left and right audio. these connect the output of the Dolby IC DM171 to the
preamp IC DM 201 it think pins 9 right audio in and pin 10 left audio in DM201 chip. you can parallel input onto these pins via 1uf capacitors . then you can have a switch that simulators the tape is inserted to cause a display
to blank AM FM . this point will bypass the Dolby noise reduction that is applied to AM FM and tape. Still allows audio volume control at this point.
Makes sure to use 1uf caps to access as this point is biased at about 6VDC.
if you access on the tape input as lots of hacks do sound will be distorted higher due to Dolby chip.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think, limo, that that is a bit out of my scope of electronic work! Even when I was a mechanic, electric work was my achilles heal! I think I'll much rather go the "easy route" with a modulator. However, folks, one further issue...
The clock display did not work when I got the car, which was annoying. Then one day it just started working and worked for a few weeks (after spilling a small amount of coffee on the floor I looked up and the clock worked haha!) now has cut out again. With the antenna replaced (nightmare) it's not a huge deal but I do want it to work. I wanted to see if there was a simple plug type connector inside the radio that is loose, etc. before I crack it open to see.
Has anyone else ever dealt with this or have any suggestions for repair. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I pulled the radio, as many of you probably have, and took the face plate off and the top cover. Could see no broken circuits to the clock display or the fm/st lights which dont work either. After checking the wires in the back of the unti everything seems tight. The display gave a little flash when the car was turned on but no real numbers were visible and the flash of life was a split second. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Is there something else I should be checking on the unit? Thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Time for a new deck dude. If it hurts you to slice the trim for new deck, find one in a junkyard and work with it. Or, gamble a bit and buy 2 or more decks at the junkyard for spares. Another option is to leave original radio in place and stuff one in the glove box. Upgrade the lame speakers while you're at it. I've got pioneer 6x9s and kicker 4x6s powered by the original radio and it sounds delicious.
Peace

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I wanted to go with new speakers...what wattage would work with the original deck. Also what Caddy radios would work with my harness. For example, I don't have the 5 band equalizer. Would that work if thats all I find? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
If I wanted to go with new speakers...what wattage would work with the original deck. Also what Caddy radios would work with my harness. For example, I don't have the 5 band equalizer. Would that work if thats all I find? Thanks!
Wattage doesn't matter. You aren't going to blow them out (and FWIW I ran a pair of 6" woofers only rated at 30 watts rms off a 2 channel receiver rated at 175 rms per channel. They worked fine.)

If you are semi handy and can make a baffle to mount them, I'd recommend these for the fronts (depth is 1.6", so should clear the wiper switch).
http://www.parts-express.com/tymphany-tc9fd18-08-3-1-2-full-range-paper-cone-woofer--264-1062,

For the rears, again, if you can make baffles, I recommend these (these are the 6" I ran off my receiver....I know it says they're 5.25", but they are closer to a 6"). I have a set and love them (and they get plenty loud off of a car stereos internal amp and sound damn good)
http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w5-704d-5-1-4-woofer--264-850

----------

And yeah, you can swap out your radio for one with the 5 band eq. Just make sure it has the 12 pin harness in the back, not the 21/22 pin. You can get an adapter harness to put a 21 pin radio in a 12 pin car though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Anything you buy nowadays is better than original speakers in our cars. Purchase a known brand or audition them if possible. There are adapters out there to plug in stock gm CD Players into the o.g. harness. I'm not completely sure on that. Try the eBay one Talismandave recommended in a previous post here. my radio has a price tag from Goodwill, $5.99, so I'm not sure what it was from. The harness changes to smaller ones after 91 I think. Otherwise, a new radio and speakers of a decent brand installed will be sufficient without an amp or subwoofer. For a cheap solution, you can adapt factory BOSE speakers into the Cadillac.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Anything you buy nowadays is better than original speakers in our cars. Purchase a known brand or audition them if possible. There are adapters out there to plug in stock gm CD Players into the o.g. harness. I'm not completely sure on that. Try the eBay one Talismandave recommended in a previous post here. my radio has a price tag from Goodwill, $5.99, so I'm not sure what it was from. The harness changes to smaller ones after 91 I think. Otherwise, a new radio and speakers of a decent brand installed will be sufficient without an amp or subwoofer. For a cheap solution, you can adapt factory BOSE speakers into the Cadillac.
Factory Bose speakers aren't any better quality (only the 3" ones with 3 mounts are real Bose) and are 1 ohm, which will cause amp failure.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts