Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
When I first got my Brougham the power steering would squeek and be hard to turn, especially whn not moving. Usually when moving the steering was fine. When the steering dropped out I looked and saw there was no fluid in the resevoir and some obvious leaks. I found out that both the pressure and return lines were leaking (bad) so I replaced them and filled it with fresh fluid. The leaks are all fixed and car is steering well but I still, at times, get that squeek or chirp and hard steer for a second when turning the steering from a stopped position. Steering while moving is fine. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-D.C.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
How long ago did you fix the leaks? I ask because air in the system will usually work its way out over the next couple days from the repair.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed the leaks about a week ago and have driven it pretty steadily for about a week now. Still might be air in the system? Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I wouldn't think so but I can't think of anything else except too loose of a belt during heavy loads or debri in the system. Maybe another belt is actually slipping and slowing down the power steering belt.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Loose or oil contaminated belt. My bet is on prior oil leaking that contaminated the belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts