Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Allante
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm completely new here.

I have a 1988 Allante. My mechanic just rebuilt the transmission, and after the rebuild, it only starts in 3rd gear, even using the gear selector in 1st,
still starts in 3rd gear.

He says that after much research, the downshift solenoids from 4-3 and 3-2 are bad. He then tells me that this is not the
ordinary 440-T4 that he thought it was, but a special "Allante-only" version, and these solenoids are nowhere to be found...and those solenoids are TOTALLY different than the ones in a standard 440-T4.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might solve this problem?

Much appreciated,
-AJ

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Buy a totaled 88 Allante and have this "mechanic" install it's solenoids into your car at no further cost to you. Then part out the wreck to recoup your expense. Most Allante's are damaged in the front because the brakes fail without warning, so look for one that's been rear ended! I'm amazed this guy took your money and released this unfixed car to you!

·
Registered
1988 Allante
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion, thanks!

For the record, this guy didn't take my money (yet), as I have not paid him for the completed job, nor has he released the unfixed car to me. He still has it and is asking me for help and direction.

I currently live in an apartment, so I do not have space allowable for a "junk " vehicle, much as I would LOVE to have one....not even a garage to rent. I'll fix that problem on my own, soon, but for now, this is my situation.

I can buy an 87-88 tranny from Tom Roehner at allantestore.com for $500 plus $300 shipping. Does anyone here suggest a better deal than that? It seems a high price for solenoids...even for inflated Allante prices...

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Where do you live? Left coast, right coast or in the middle? Have you talked to Dick Hussey and allantesource.com? What's the warranty on the $500 transmission? Why was the trans rebuilt in the 1st place?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts