Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
09 Escalade, 04 CTS-V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought an 04 V with low miles, has intake and exhaust and I think it may be tuned. It has 862 heads instead of the 243s. Anyone know why this might have been done?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,035 Posts
From what I'm seeing on ls1tech, the 862 heads were on the 5.3 truck engines. LS6s are very hard to find, it may be that a previous owner blew the original LS6 and dropped in a 5.3 of some sort. Is the block aluminum or is magnetic?

·
Registered
09 Escalade, 04 CTS-V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd bring this car back if that's what happened... Where do I check if it's magnetic and what does it mean if it is or isn't

·
Registered
04 CTS-V LS6
104 Posts
ssp_ls6 said:
I'd bring this car back if that's what happened... Where do I check if it's magnetic and what does it mean if it is or isn't
If a magnet sticks to the block that means it's an iron truck block. Aluminum block a mag won't stick to.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The stock oil pan is aluminum and may have been retained with a different block, so test above the oil pan but below the heads.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
There should be a cast number on the back of the block just under the drivers side head. If you can get the number, that will tell you what engine you have.

·
Registered
09 Escalade, 04 CTS-V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil pan is aluminum, block looks aluminum like very clean, fresh but magnetic. I'm going see if I can get a look at cast number. It's definitely tuned rear o2 are nonexistent

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,035 Posts
Oil pan is aluminum, block looks aluminum like very clean, fresh but magnetic. I'm going see if I can get a look at cast number. It's definitely tuned rear o2 are nonexistent
Well, if the block is magnetic then it's definitely not an LS6. Sounds like you've got quite a mystery on your hands. I didn't read too much on ls1tech, but from my quick look there it sounded like the 862 heads had smaller valves than the 243 heads, so it seems like a strange choice for a "built" motor. You might have to do some tear-down to figure out what you've got.

·
Registered
09 Escalade, 04 CTS-V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
6.0 iron block with 862 heads from a previous turbo/nitrous build?
That would be awesome, I'll find out on Friday I'll be pulling accessory bracket off to see block size.... I'm praying for best. I've have two flats yesterday lol

·
Registered
09 Escalade, 04 CTS-V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also been trying to get into contact with previous owner and he isn't responding to anything.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
Also been trying to get into contact with previous owner and he isn't responding to anything.
I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if there's been a misrepresentation about the car that could give you some legal leverage with him.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
09 Escalade, 04 CTS-V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldn't help I bought it from dealership... Car was single owner and his info was in car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts