Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about buying an 86 Fleetwood fwd. It's got the 4100, body and interior in new condition, no rust. Owned by older couple and has made many trips to Arizona and back.

Runs great, doesn't leak or burn oil. Exceptional condition.

Now the bad part: 170,000 miles.

They want $800.00 for it.

Should I buy it? What should I look for.

I've not worked on a 4100 since the mid 80's. Friends mom had an 83 Deville with the bad cam. Engine was replaced in 84 and she went 140,000 miles before selling the car. She had no further problems despite the fact that she had a heavy foot.

I hear to many horror stories about the 4100.

Thanks
Dave Belleau

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think most of the 4100's problems were caused by a lack of maintenance. But there's a reason why GM would dump a motor after just a few years. That's expensive.
Maybe you should post this in the Fleetwood section and see what people there say.
Bob

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
A moderator can move the post there and it won't be doubled in two places.

What's the typical price for that car in your area? If that's what you want and it doesn't need anything that's really expensive you could always buy it and when the 4.1L gives up like so many seem to do you could get the engine changed or sell it to someone else who wants to. Maybe it was already changed before? Sounds like it's a decent price for the car anyway.

·
Registered
520 Posts
brougham said:
A moderator can move the post there and it won't be doubled in two places.

What's the typical price for that car in your area? If that's what you want and it doesn't need anything that's really expensive you could always buy it and when the 4.1L gives up like so many seem to do you could get the engine changed or sell it to someone else who wants to. Maybe it was already changed before? Sounds like it's a decent price for the car anyway.
I had that same thought and didn't write it. $800 for the car that's in great shape. Drive it, keep everything in nice shape, and when the engine gives up, put in a 4.5 or 4.9.
Then you have maybe 3k in a Cadillac in great shape. It's hard to find one for that.

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
I'd definately take it...if not for anything, at least for the body. Around here, the older Cadillacs get orange racing stripes on them, so for you - what a find!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Id take it also..... Even if the 4100 gives up, you can drop a 4.9 in it, and have a 86 FW in really nice condition..... Which is getting really hard to find these days......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts