Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally getting around to tuning up my 86 coupe. Just trying to go through it, replacing as much stuff as i can. It only has 76k miles but most if that was driven between 86 & 96. Ive just got done with new plugs, wires, distributor, oil and trans fluid with new pan gaskets, radiator flushed. Of course im about to replace every rubber dry rotted vacuum line i can find. i took the TBI out to clean it and decided to rebuild it while ive got the time. Question is, should i go ahead and get new injectors? They seem to be working ok (for now) i just didnt know if those are something known to give out. This is my project car now, it was my daily driver back in 2009/10 and it seemed like something was always being a problem so im trying to get ahead of the cursed HT4100 curve lol.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
The two injector TBI is virtually bulletproof. Because the injectors spray down thru the venturi, it self cleans. If you've got it off, clean all the vacuum ports on it. Don't waste your money on injectors. If you've pulled the injectors off then maybe replace the gasket under each injector to be safe. Otherwise leave it alone. In my opinion, NEVER flush any system on a car this old. Simply drain and refill.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Up to you really. I personally consider injectors to be wear items that should be replaced periodically but I am in the minority here. They gum up, springs wear down, resistance builds up, etc.

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess ill let them ride for now since they are pretty easy to get to. I rebuilt the tbi wit the autozone kit, have a new EGR Valve and pcv valve. All new vacuum lines... Just have to replace the fuel line i twisted when i was disconnecting the tbi. Hopefully all this makes a little difference lol

With the radiator i had the connector hose underneith the oil pan disconnected, i put the water hose in the radiator untill clear water ran out the front pipe of the connection, then i plugged that pipe and filled the radiator with the water hose untill clean water was draining out the rear pipe (which i assume is the return path to the radiator)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts