Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Seville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 Cadillac Seville with the 4.1 V8. The engine seems to hesitate when accelerating and does not seem to have the same get up and go as it used to. When its been running for a while it has problems restarting if shut off. Through testing ant such we found that we were only getting 5-6 psi to the engine through the fuel lines. From what we have found it should be more like 9-11 psi. We have tried replacing the fuel filter in case there was a blockage of some sort but have the same issue. Is this something that would cause the car to be underpowered? Has anyone had a problem like this that may have some ideas on where to check for this?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
The 4.1 came from the factory under powered. That said, I'd suspect a failing fuel pump with those pressures.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,735 Posts
Second that opinion. My 84 did that and it was the "sock" filter that attaches to the fuel sender. The sock over the years was black from sediment. It eventually caused the pump to fail. Replaced the pump and sock, and it felt like 20 horsepower was added to the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts