Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes are going to the floor no resistance Checked the master cylinder it was empty so I topped it off and still problem persists didn't use all the fluid but still no resistance I'm not sure if its and internal cylinder leave or the booster at a total loss anything helps Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you checked the brake pads and for any leaks?
No external leaks have not checked pads though

My brakes are going to the floor no resistance Checked the master cylinder it was empty so I topped it off and still problem persists didn't use all the fluid but still no resistance I'm not sure if its and internal cylinder leave or the booster at a total loss anything helps Thanks
Internal Cylinder leak

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,182 Posts
Have to bench bleed the master and all the wheels. If still loose, then master is probably gone.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,786 Posts
If the master cylinder was empty, there must be a leak somewhere.
If the master cylinder was empty, you have now introduced air into the system.
Follow Sifero's advice and bleed the entire system. Then check closely for leaks. On a car that old, chances are that one of the lines is rusted out. Been there done that ...........................and that was on a car half of your cars age.

P.S.
I edited your title to make it a bit more descriptive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was very little fluid in the front section of the mc but the back was 3/4 of the way full all lines are solid all the way around I'll post a picture soon

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
14,528 Posts
There was very little fluid in the front section of the mc but the back was 3/4 of the way full all lines are solid all the way around I'll post a picture soon
If you're losing brake fluid and can't visually find the leak, the fluid may be filling up your brake booster.

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,241 Posts
FYI, a new non-reman AC Delco Professional master cylinder is $41 at Rock Auto. If you can't find any leaks up front, might as well replace the MC and see if that solves it. Do a bench bleed.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
191 Posts
Jeremythomas... You have a 36 year old car with low brake fluid. First step is to stick your finger in the front reservoir of the master cylinder. If there is "gunk" in it, don't waste your time and money. Replace it and thoroughly bleed the complete brake system with new fresh fluid. And, as Long said, check the brake booster to see if there is brake fluid in it, if so, that has to be dealt with. Low fluid indicates it is going somewhere, if you have checked all of the lines, preferably while someone is pushing down on the brake pedal and there are no visual leaks, either there is an internal MC leak or the booster is receiving the fluid. The fluid may not have been changed in the 36 year life of the car, so to be safe change it. It may have accumulated water in it for any number of reasons and your life is in the balance. Contrary to popular belief, brake fluid is not a lifetime fluid. It does deteriorate over time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check the steel brake lines for rust/corrosion, kinks/cracks.
Check the rubber hoses at calipers for ballooning/ cracks etc.
As mentioned earlier if there is air in your lines you gotta bleed all four calipers..good time to install new bleed screws (cheap insurance).

·
Registered
569 Posts
No argument with the fact that if the fluid goes down it's leaking somewhere.

Before I knew that detail I thought of an issue I had once with my 1984. The rear caliper soft line was expanding when I applied the brakes and basically taking more fluid volume without really actuating that one rear caliper. I had some braking but the pedal essentially went to the floor (no leaking and no loss of fluid but it felt like a leak or bad master). Before I realized the obvious brake pedal feel I noticed, in slippery conditions, the vehicle lost stability during braking. That should have been an obvious sign but at the time I didn't realize it.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ballooning can be elusive! Best to have someone apply brake pressure to see the expansion of the rubber brake lines.
I was lucky as a tire mechanic noticed the deformity on my front line.It can be missed as the balloning can relax out of site or it's out of sight on the side facing the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts