Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 eldorado with 100k on it runs good no rust other than the body filled front fenders dunno why they rusted but nothing in on or under did. It needs some work to little stuff being I did the new radiator water pump and steering, muffler, and fuel pump 2 months ago. It has no power (ht4100) and needs a/c repair along with vinyl top recovered. I like the long ass hood and always wanted one. If sold I may get $800 to $1500

I got from my aunt who is long retired a 1988 Eldorado 123k mile and she had many major and minor components replaced including new tires for $500. I put new struts in the front anb bought the air shocks for the back, charged the a/c but it needs a gas tank (the reason she gave it to me) . The car runs Like a top and body is great interior was replaced partly the exception of the loud compressor. if the gas tank needs a sending unit that $300 plus the $$350 or so for the tank and labor. if i was going to sell I could probably get $1200 to $1500 as is
I have since bought a 97 deville that is perfect for my daily driver

So my question is this:
Which one of the Eldorados would you all keep? I like the style of the 1985 the best but tis very hard to find people to work on it reasonably and seems so friggin underpowered that im almost afraid to drive it. The 88 looks good and I Know where it has been so to speak just another $700 im not sure its worht it to me who has limited time. So what would you all do? cuz I need to dump 1 of them fast due to lack of space at our business warehouse.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I'd keep the 88 if I were you. It's lighter and more powerful 4.5 instead of 4.1 so it can actually get out of it's own way and like you said you know where it's been. I don't really like the 79-85 styling myself.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
I'm just the opposite - I like the 79-85 styling much better! The 88 looks like a friggin' compact car!

But you're right - it has more power than the 79-85.

I still think that 79-85 has a better chances of becoming a classic than the 88.

Peteski

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Definately keep the 85! The '86 to '91 models look like bad GM compact cars, not luxury Eldorados. And trust me, the HT4100 is underpowered, but I have the 350 diesel with 105 Horses, yeah, thats right, 105 HP, and it gets me going fine. (You have to remember that this isn't a race car afterall, its a land yacht...) The '85 is definately more of a pimpmobile, and you have a vinyl top? Definately keep the 85...

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to think there is something wrong with my 85 in the line of power i meen i know its no race care but hell i would settle for at least safe. I do like the style better but the power scares me. I havent driven it in a while but today after i pick it up with the new fuel pump I will see what happens.. still indecided... You think the engine from my john deere lawn mower will fit? I know it has more power...

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Nahhh...the 4.1 is a great motor...its not a friggin Northstar or a 440, but it'll get out of its own way. The 85 is defiantely a better looking car. I wish like hell I had kept my 83 Biarritz w/ the 4.1 And the diesel isn't really all that bad either...I had a '78 Olds with the same, and i loved getting 32 mpg in the lap of luxury. :) Keep the 85, or give it to me! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to agree with the maority here, Id rather the 85 ust because of the styling, the same reason I own the version I own.

Mine also has the vinyl roof so I understand it's appeal as well. But consdering
my other car, Its no wonder I'd never like the 86-91 type. I also agree it has no luxury appeal whatsoever and I know the ride isn't as smooth.

Of course, I have no idea how the HT4100 performs since mine is a 350 Olds gas type and I have no problems with power. Hell, It scares me how the car can accelerate as fast as it does.

But I'd still rather go with the 85. If you'd prefer the power of the 88, just get another car with a much nicer exterior appeal.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
If you had time and money to do an engine swap I'd agree and say keep the 85. Small block Olds or a 500/472/425 Cadillac engine wouldn't be real hard to do.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Hear about these engine swaps and they worry me because im afraid the computer or interior mpg sh*t won't work. I like everything it came with to be functional and NYS inspections are getting harder every year and more costly. This is why the 4.5 from remanufactured.com looks to be the best choice. Unless the computer and such will work with a olds motor or even an older cadillac 368 V8

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The computer system wouldn't be able to handle running an engine much bigger than 250ci or so, so no chance it would work on an Olds or big block Caddy. It could still pass emissions if done properly but I don't know about actual inspections where they look at the car since I don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
unless the 88 is an etc with dual exhaust and all that jazz, id go 85. but the 85 tends to look like a heap of garbage unless its immaculate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts