Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, while replacing my rear calipers, I asked the mechanic to replace my fuel filter. He said he tried but the filter bolt onto the gas line was frozen in place. He said he was sure he'd break it if he tried to force it loose. (Btw, he didn't charge me for the effort, which was nice.)

One assumes you shouldn't put a torch on the gas line to loosen it up… Any tricks to get it loose without breaking the gas line? Here's the design (but mine's a Fram: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=577864&cc=1026100&jnid=444&jpid=6

I wanted to replace it because the current filter has that rubberized coating on it, leading me to believe it's 30 years old. Any advice?

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Changing it might be more trouble than it's worth - but you could try a couple of days of squirting the nut coupling with PB Blaster. Otherwise, if you break the fuel line you're in the business of using a "universal" filter with hose barbs at both ends.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Most times the secret is to bang on the wrench with your fist, rather than simply pulling on the wrench. The threads gall together and the pulling ends up rounding off the fitting. Was very common on carb inlet fittings in the 80's. Pull as you might, it wouldn't break free. Bang on the wrench, "pop" it broke free. In your area, you have to deal with rust on bare metal components, we don't. Penetrant is not a bad idea prior.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, ESPECIALLY in this case. Twist that fuel line and you are in deep doo doo. Been there, done that. Worry about it when AND IF it becomes clogged and cause a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts