Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Hollywood, Florida and need to find a mechanic that really knows '85 Eldo's. I'm currently getting error code #44 followed shortly therafter by #13 and once followed by #30. My longtime mechanic is great on general repairs but this is beyond him. Frankly I don't want to try and solve this by process of elimination, that gets expensive :)
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob G.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Krashed989,
Thanks for the response. My mechanic has the code definitions but feels car would be billowing exhaust smoke which it's not. Also feels fuel pump and/or computer could be the problem. As I said it's beyond him. I may just break down and go to Caddy :)
Thanks again for the respnse.

Bob G.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
If the O2 sensor is right and it is running lean, there won't be much smoke. Check the fuel pressure. It could be an ailing fuel pump, bad fuel filter, or sticky fuel injectors.

Something is wrong with your ISC But I don't know how to diagnose that one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Krashed989,
I didn't think I'd hear from you again so this is my first time back since seeing your first post.
Car's been at mechanic's since Tuesday and basically the same. Tried new computer but no change although all codes are gone. Once car reaches operating temp she'll stall as you come to a stop. She won't re-start if you try immediately but wait 10 seconds and she "usually" fires right up.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, what's an "ISC" ?

Thanks again for your help. I have to call him tomorrow around noon but I'll check here first :)

Trshman

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
ISC means Idle Speed Control... and that is probably what is causing the stalling.

Like I said before though, I don't really know much about it because I have never had to deal with a bad one before.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Good luck though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Morning :),

Thanks for getting back to me and thanks for the explanation of an ISC. I've got a manual but it's in storage which is the same as not having one I guess.

I'm going to pass on your suggestions to him as soon as I log off here. I love the car but problems like this make me appreciate my other car ( a '66 Pontiac). There's a lot to be said for a Rochester 4bbl :)

Thanks again. I'll let you know how he makes out.

Trshman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Krashed989,
Well the culprit turned out to be the fuel pump which was one of the things you suggested. In all fairness to my mechanic the problem didn't really jump out at you.
When he measured fuel pressure on the road it stayed around 12 and momentarily dropped to 9 at a stop and then right back to 12. Now 9 to 12 he says is the normal range for fuel pressure yet dropping to 9 was the only indication he was getting that there was a fuel pump problem. I would think it would have dropped to some lower number and I would have thought an error code referring to the fuel pump would have appeared.
I'm glad it's fixed but I'm a little disappointed the computer codes weren't more of a help.
Anyway thanks for your help. Hope I can return the favor sometime.
You have a good day,
Trshman

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
on 85 Eldo, it takes pretty much an act of God to trigger an error code. We are talking about early computer circuits here.

And, the computer doesn't monitor the fuel pressure at all, so it has no idea when it is low. It only monitors the voltage at the fuel pump motor.

I'm glad your is fixed.
Peteski

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey there peteski,
so I guess it will tell you if the pump's getting power but not if it's working. Great :) Hey, like you said I'm just glad it's fixed. Now I need to either find a new drivers seat or someone that re-upholster mine and I'll be happy- for now:)

You have yourself a good day and thanks for chiming in.
Trshman

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
That is correct Trshman.

Maybe you can find a decent seat at some junkyard. But it'll probably be tough as this is a 20 year old car... But you might get lucky...

Good luck with your Caddy! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts