Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"ve got a 85 coupe deville. The passanger window is no longer in the track. I havent pried the whole door panel off, as it looks like a project to do right and dont want to do it until I get all the parts. I was wondering what is involved in replacing the guide tracks for the window, or if they can easily be rebuilt. The window isnt in the track and if I try to lower it the whole thing falls into the door (scared the heck out of me going 70 on the highway when it fell) Any tips or help is greatly appreciated. If someone could also point me in the direction of parts other than a boneyard or reference material on repair. I have a factory service manual but it tells me to look at the body manual which I have yet been able to find. Thanks all

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only thing that keeps that window travelling vertically is a plastic "runner" that snaps into a hole drilled into the rear of the glass. I think the opening to get the runner into the metal track is around the height of the door handle. The glass sits on a wheel, that's how it can fall so easily without that plastic runner in it's track. I really don't remember where the runner gets pushed into the track, it might be at the very top. I do remember however that you don't have to take the door panel off, and its not that hard to do. ( I'm assuming that the mechanism isn't broken, and that the window is still sitting on the wheel, and that it is falling on an angle ).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts