Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow gearheads, 4.1 L and OD slushbox. Recently purchased vehicle, idle is as low as it can go. Must have foot on gas to start. While engine running, if i blip throttle, engine will die(dangerous in traffic). Visual inspection of throttle assembly reveals no activity from Idle speed control. If throttle raised by hand, plunger follows to a certain point which i believe is correct idle speed for cold start. WHen i let the throttle back down the plunger goes down as well. So far, have removed motor and installed repair kit(new plunger, boot, and lubricant) which probably wasn't necessary $20. Continuity check says switch is good, and direct 12volt motor extends and retracts properly.
My assumsion is that incorrect voltage levels arriving to the motor, possibly bad wires, ecm, or info going to ecm. What do you think? Where should I go next? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The T.p.s Switch Must Be At .50 Volts At Idle. Going To Approx. 5.0 At Wide Open Throttle. Ck The Tps Adjustment First. You Can Monitor That Thru The Diagnostics On The Dash. Pressing The Off And Warmer Buttons On The Climate Control Will Get Into Diagnostics. Hitting Hi Button Will Progress You Thru The Tests. Low Button Will Back Up Thru The Tests. Turning The Car Off Will Take You Out Of Diagnostics. The Cadillac Service Manual Is A Must For Proper Diagnostics, Not A Chilton, Not A Haynes. Good Luck, Bill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just so happens that I have an official cadillac service manual for 1985. The problem with it is it doesn't seem to have any references to the deville! THe instrument panel section for example doesn't have a section for deville, and the none of the others look like mine. Also the wiring diagrams are slightly off on some colors. Is it possible there are more than one 1985 manuals?
The climate control is dead, can I check the tps directly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Last night I bought an 84 DeVille Stretch. The car runs ok when it has initially started but is running very rich. Starting from cold seems to be a real problem and hot starts require foot to the floor and revving the engine until it clears itself.
On closer inspection it looks like the water temperature sensor has no wires going to it. (I assume it is on the back of the engine on the passanger side of the car, with a yellow sleeve on it??).
I was wondering if anybody on here would know the colours of the wires coming out of the loom so I can find out what the previous owner has done!
Many thanks for your help.
Andreas Jefferson
Cornwall, SW England

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Need To Know What Engine It Has? 4100 Or 368. Does It Have Throttle Body Injection Or 8 Injectors?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts