Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 rwd has been cutting out when going up hills. this started about two months ago, and at that time i suspected the fuel filter. So I replaced the filter and all was good until now. It doesnt even start now so any info is helpfull.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Any codes being tossed before it started cutting out?

Is it backfiring? If so, through intake or exhaust? Intake backfiring is often lean conditions or timing way off.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Since the car is carbureted, I'm going to take a stab at it being an ignition issue. Probably a coil or coil wire. The cutting out intermittently while going uphill would coincide with high-KV loads on the ignition. Check it for spark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is some more info thanks. After it died the first time i started it up again no problem, but I had to pump the gas to get it moving. When I just pressed on the gas it would start to die again, so I pumped the gas and the it would jerk forward and then die. it continued this for about 5 minutes(starting, then dying) until it wouldnt start. It didnt show any codes when it died, but I think it has something to do with the fuel delivery.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,172 Posts
85Broughamboat said:
Here is some more info thanks. After it died the first time i started it up again no problem, but I had to pump the gas to get it moving. When I just pressed on the gas it would start to die again, so I pumped the gas and the it would jerk forward and then die. it continued this for about 5 minutes(starting, then dying) until it wouldnt start. It didnt show any codes when it died, but I think it has something to do with the fuel delivery.
I had a very similar situation this summer with my 85 Fleetwood Brougham. The problem turned out to be the fuel pump. First thing to do is make sure you have gas, those fuel level guages can go out without warrning, and go from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hello!

Just to clarify, the 1985 Fleetwood Brougham was the last year of the HT4100 engine in the full size rear drive cars. The only other optional engine in 1985 was the diesel. I'm guessing you have the HT4100, right? The 307 Oldmobile V8 started in 1986.

D

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
I had the exact symptoms with my 85. I went nuts. It would sputter under a load but idle real nice no misses. I pulled the cat, changed the cap, rotor and wires, coil... In other words spent a lot of money when i should of changed the fuel pump...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts