Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an 84 Seville 4.1 with 108,000 miles. Car runs like a swiss watch, but recently it has been developing an odd clunking noise under medium to hard acceleration. It seems to nly be when the transmission shifts 1-2 and 2-3. If I back off the gas when it shifts I get a nice smooth transition. If I stay on the gas, like getting on the intestate in Califonia's rush hour traffic, It will clunk, once, or sometimes twice. Noise is coming from the left frontwheel area. Seems like there maybe excess play in something. Under extreme acceleration it will clunk repeatedly, sounds like when you hit something steel with a hammer and continue to hold pressure, sort of a reverberating metallic rattle. I have checked the motor mounts, cv shafts, and differential. Driver front motor mount is weak, but not shot. Cv shafts are good and have minimal play. The axle stub on the drivers side has 1/4" - 3/8" play up and down, but the seal does not leak. There may be excessive lash between the ring gear and pinion, but seems normal enough. Anyone have experience with a similar problem? I only get the noise when travelling in a straight line, Nothing when cornering. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like a CV joint to me - but I've been wrong before (!) - anyhow - jack it up and slowly rotate the LF wheel - listen REAL CAREFUL for a clicking sound. Even if the boot isn't ripped and leaking, crud can get into a CV joint and act as an abrasive -

Another possibility (among probably dozens) is a bad ball joint - you can check these by using a pry-bar to lift the lower control arm while the car is in the air (make darned sure it's properly supported on jack stands and is very stable) - you should not be able to detect any "free" movement in the ball joints - if you can - do yourself and everyone else on the highway and replace them - it's quite bad when they fail. Check your tie-rod ends while you're at it - I doubt that they would contribute to the noise BUT having one of them go at speed would be almost as interesting as having a ball joint let loose ...

Then again - it could be something really innocent - like an exhaust hanger that just clanks against the body when you get hard on the gas -

Best of luck resolving the problem - but check out the stuff that can kill you first (ball joints, tie-rod ends) -

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just replaced driver side motor mount. It was worn, but not shot. Next I suppose I'll pull the differential cover and have a look-see. Cv shafts are still in good shape. Running out of Ideas. Anyone ever had to replace the drive chain in the transmission? Any way to check it without disassembly? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
opened up the diff., slight side to side play. Perhaps .005" or less. Everything looks good inside. Is the side play critical? HELP!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts