Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
(2)1984 Eldorado convertibles
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idle on one of my Eldorados is very low, when I start the car I have to hod the gas down or it will stall. When I went to investigate I loolked under the air filter and see there is a bracket where the idle control motor sits, the mother is MISSING . I bought the car from someone and do not know why this is.

On my other eldorado I see the motor is intact, I have to purchase another and wanted to know if any one of these items on EBay are good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-T-Series-SA4T-Idle-Air-Control-Motor-/331522355464?fits=Year:1984|Model:Eldorado&hash=item4d3045b108&vxp=mtr

If so whereevr I buy I assume this will have to be adjusted manually when its in the car?

anyone?

R

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
That appears to be correct. You will need the nuts to hold it on as well. And yes, it needs adjusted once in the car. Is the harness that plugs into it OK? Do a search to learn how to adjust it as well as the TPS switch. Hopefully the PO removed a failed ICM only.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok as I mentioned I have two cars like this the second car is mainly used for parts so I removed the ICM from the part car ( I will get a new one later) and went to place in the car where it was missing and I see that the connector has broken pieces missing ( SEE ATTACHED) so now where can I get these connectors and SECOND since the motor becomes hot will using crip connections hold together even though there is a lot of heat given off?

Connector.jpg

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I'd be less concerned with heat and more concerned with resistance thru the wires once you splice in the connector. I would solder and cover in shrink tubing, the splice. Is the parts car connector better? Many have the lock connector broken off. I've used a nylon wire tie once the plug is inserted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my amazement I went to Autozone with the motor and they have the clip but have to order. I paid $19.00 I'll make sure connections are tight

Ill post with results

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just reporting back on this as I took the ICM from my other Biarritz, got a new plug and installed, now the car starts with the correct idle as the ICM worked fine in my other car. But I notice after a while
I'm driving that the idle begins to race and sometimes with my foot on the brake the idle goes up and down. When the idle races and I step on the gas the car seems to choke out but I did also
notice that if I shut the car when the idle is racing it is hard to re start as it sounds like the choke is closed and only way to start is turn it over and the car will slowly run but if I hot the gas stall. When I bought this car the ICM was missing which leads me to believe this must have occurred to the previous owner and he removed it and if this is so I'm thinking it is something else that is causing this
which is why I'm asking if anyone knows.

My second thought is to check the codes when the car is running fine and then again when the symptoms occur. If I do will the codes reveal the culprit?

Just checking here before I do this.

anyone?

RD

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
The ICM MUST be adjusted as a base line in relation to the TPS. With the car at normal temperature, hold the idle up at the throttle body and with your other hand, press on the ICM shaft hard (strong steady pressure) till it fully retracts. This takes a few seconds to bottom out. Then quickly unplug the wire harness to it. Let it return to idle. There should be .60 ( 60 thousands) clearance between the shaft tip and the throttle shaft lever. Adjust the shaft to get to this gap. Shut the car off, reconnect the harness and restart the car. Every car has a slightly different TPS setting and the ICM must be in sync with it. One other thing, If the PO removed the ICM, then he turned the minimum idle screw on the throttle body in as well. Minimum idle with ICM removed or fully retracted should be 450 to 500 RPM. The ICM shaft should not touch the throttle lever! at minimum idle.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I will venture to say that the minimum idle screw has been turned in by the PO so that will also alter the TPS base setting as well. The service manual is a very important tool to do this correctly. Understanding the on board diagnostics is also very important in order to monitoring adjustments as they are made. Do a search via GOOGLE regarding TPS and idle control motor adjustments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts