Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
(2)1984 Eldorado convertibles
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked for days to find the relays for the convertible top for my 84 Biarritz. Cannot find anywhere, I was thinking since these were not factory convertibles maybe that's why I cannot find anything? I know that GM made factory convertibles from 82 to 86 for the Buick Riviera should but looked under that and couldn't find either. Then I thought maybe the relays used in the 71' to 76' Eldos could be used but nothing came up there either.

anybody know where I can find these relays?

RD

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,220 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread. Did you ever find those relays, Ralphie? I can't find them anywhere, except on GM parts suppliers as "discontinued" or "no longer available." Part number is 20421377, same relay used for Buick Riviera convertibles. One of mine was broken apart and making contact with the metal housing, causing a serious draw. So I'd like to replace it, rather than tape it back together, which is what I'm doing now. Successfully at the moment.

Here's a photo:

----------

p.s. It's ONLY on Eldo convertibles and Rivieras as far as I can tell. Here's the part as #36 in diagram: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=377307&ukey_product=2900487

----------

and I called NAPA and Autozone, no one shows that part number in their computers, nor an interchange match, etc.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
You may need a wiring diagram with terminals and have to figure out a different relaynwith same functions. Should be too difficult. Wiring harness will need to be adapted to new relay so don't forget pigtail connectors. Don't limit your search to exact terminals, a relay may have terminals you dont need but still work. If you have electrical supply(auto) place in town I would see what they can do.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks Rodnok, it's got four blades, which is apparently uncommon. Helpful NAPA guy asked me to describe it (number of blades, arrangement of blades, numbers and text markings). It doesn't have any real numbers or text on it like relays I've seen before. This is apparently a relay only used for GM convertibles 82-85.

My link above is bad, this one's better: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Buick/RELAY-Folding-Top/2900487/20421377.html

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
It may be a more common relay just in metal case for that application. Electric shop guy probably know what to use to replace it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can find out. I'd prefer the OEM part though. Who might have such a relay, if normal online GM suppliers don't?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Used or you're probably not going to find that rare of an item. Been there... I gave up and convert if not a common relay as NOS prices were too high.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Would you just super glue the current relay? It seems to work fine as long as it doesn't make contact with the metal housing, the fit (crimping on the housing or the plastic harness) weakened when it separated.

And curious, why on earth would they use a metal housing if contact would cause draw? Relay housings are plastic for a reason, right?

----------

This is the relay in the FSM diagram for the convertible circuits:

[URL=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/scottcelder/media/RelayDiagram_zpsodgc8wn0.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
They used metal probably for crush resistance if I had to take geuss. If the relay works JB weld cover back on. If the cover isn't part of the ground (doubt it) that looks like a standard 4 pin relay(probably high amp however). Google 4 pin relay and compare to fsm. Basics are it needs a ground, a trigger, source power and destination wire. When the trigger wire gets power it closes the relay and allows current to flow. That looks to be a normal open relay. Pins a and c should be a ground and a trigger.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I super glued it back together. Seems to be working fine. Re-tested for draw: 0.014 amps. I didn't have any JB Weld and wanted to take care of it. No one anywhere seems to have replacement relays.

Last time I used JB Weld it was to patch holes in a radiator…thought JB Weld was used for really heavy duty work like that, not plastic. Wrong?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I use it all over, door panels couple weeks ago(crappy clips break off). I also have 2 part epoxies of various types for plastic/metal. Recently used JB to fix MAF sensor on my 98 that shredded. I use the 5 minute set.
Well hope the relay stays together and that's the end of that problem for you.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Here are photos of the relay's 4 blades in case that's helpful to someone. Gluing the housing back on is still working for me, btw:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts