Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm really having a hard time with this, top worked for the first couple of years i had it ('17-18) but quit last year. I've not been able to fine a fuse that feeds the hydraulics (thinking it's an electrical problem}. Is the fuse 'in line' or would they have used one of the slots in the fuse bank?
What else could it be?
Any help will be appreciated.

moderator edit: Welcome to the forums, Bernie. let's move this question to the Eldo forum. This Tech Tips page is intended for folks to offer tips, but not for asking questions.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
I'm really having a hard time with this, top worked for the first couple of years i had it ('17-18) but quit last year. I've not been able to fine a fuse that feeds the hydraulics (thinking it's an electrical problem}. Is the fuse 'in line' or would they have used one of the slots in the fuse bank?
What else could it be?
Any help will be appreciated.

moderator edit: Welcome to the forums, Bernie. let's move this question to the Eldo forum. This Tech Tips page is intended for folks to offer tips, but not for asking questions.
===================
being an aftermarket conversion - I doubt you'll find a fuse in the block for the top -

best idea would be to discover WHO did the conversion -
and look for electrical/hydraulic schematics -

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,243 Posts
If the car is an ASC conversion, the power feed to the top should plug into the fuse box in one of the ignition hot sockets and I believe have an inline circuit breaker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the car is an ASC conversion, the power feed to the top should plug into the fuse box in one of the ignition hot sockets and I believe have an inline circuit breaker.
Thanks, I believe it's a California Top XO that set up shop in Michigan for the '84-'85 models. I like the clue to look for, make a sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
===================
being an aftermarket conversion - I doubt you'll find a fuse in the block for the top -

best idea would be to discover WHO did the conversion -
and look for electrical/hydraulic schematics -
Thanks for the thought process, California Top Co I believe.

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
I have an ASC convertible. Unfortunately the Fisher Body Manual only covers the ASC setup, as far as I know. For the ASC, the circuit diagram shows a 30amp inline circuit breaker near the battery, wire is labeled "Red." So not a fuse in the fuse box. I'm away from my car, but I believe there's a little red plastic flip box atop the wheel well and that's where it lives. Might be wrong. There are also two crucial relays in the trunk by the hydraulic motor pump... at least on the ASC version.

Are those relays getting power? Have you given the top switch a close look or bypassed it? Switch might be the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an ASC convertible. Unfortunately the Fisher Body Manual only covers the ASC setup, as far as I know. For the ASC, the circuit diagram shows a 30amp inline circuit breaker near the battery, wire is labeled "Red." So not a fuse in the fuse box. I'm away from my car, but I believe there's a little red plastic flip box atop the wheel well and that's where it lives. Might be wrong. There are also two crucial relays in the trunk by the hydraulic motor pump... at least on the ASC version.

Are those relays getting power? Have you given the top switch a close look or bypassed it? Switch might be the problem.

Thanks, That's a big help. Very much appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Good. That should help. I should have mentioned there should be a sticker in the driver door jamb that says "ASC", at the back of the door, next to the tire pressure sticker.

Keep in mind the convertibles were a bit of an afterthought. They just threw a separate electrical system in for the top that didn't really integrate with the standard circuits. In some ways that's good because it isolates things. Given that it worked recently, personally I'd start by finding/checking that inline breaker, then the switch, then check the relays (accessible through the trunk). The hydraulic motors seem pretty sturdy and uncommon as a failure point.

The real manual for the convertible is the Fisher Body Manual. 84 or 85 version would work fine for an 84. Buy the cheapest hard copy on eBay. This, for $8.50: 1984 GM Body by Fisher Service Manual B-D-E-G-K Body Styles | eBay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
0615200853.jpg
Thanks, That's a big help. Very much appreciate the insight.
I found the 'red box' but it looks like it is just a junction box. I don't see anything that looks like a circuit breaker. will look under the dash to see if I can find where the red wire leads.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yep. I agree it's a junction. Too bad, that'd be easy... Trace that red wire to the firewall, might be there. Or check for voltage further down stream. I believe there's a big white wire coming out of the fuse box at top right, that goes to the top motor (I think). If you have power at the relays, the inline circuit breaker is good, even if you can't find it. (Right?)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
View attachment 583483 View attachment 583483
I found the 'red box' but it looks like it is just a junction box. I don't see anything that looks like a circuit breaker. will look under the dash to see if I can find where the red wire leads.
=====================
that small black wire in the "red box" that turns to red looks like a fuseable link -

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
This information is from the official Factory Service Manual, which is very useful and basically essential for all old Cadillacs. Available on ebay or online by subscription. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
FSM schematics show wire gauge in metric. So "1 BLK" is 16 AWG according to the FSM table. I think. Check for writing on the wire.
I'm pretty sure a fusible link should clearly melt if it fails. So you have power right on that ring connector in the junction box (going to red toward the firewall), you traced the wire and found a contact to test on the other end of the red wire, and that has no power?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have found I have power to the relays and when I connect a direct wire to the motor, it works. It would seem that means the relay is bad. Both at the same time? Other views? Source for relays?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts