Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 Deville won't start

10K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Cadillaction77 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I'm new here and have searched already so just be patient with me. With that being said, this is my first Caddy. It's a 84 Deville w/4.1 and it wont start. Long story short 2nd fuel pump later and i am now hearing it prime when key in ignition. Changed fuel filter, tightened it all up, let it prime several times to re-pressurize system and fuel line from filter, to solid line has hole and leaks. Change line, try to start car and will not start. The car turns over, and will start every time with starting fluid but not seeing fuel squirt from the 2 injectors. What else can i look at as the problem. Thanks

#5 ·
So i unscrew the fuel line, crank the car fuel everywhere. So there's no clog there, so it could be the injectors? what other areas should i look at now? does the injectors have a fuse or relay or etc? i did also take the injector housing off.

#10 ·
i checked all the fuses they all worked except one, and not even sure if that one is supposed to get power. But with the injectors out and fuel lines loose i can't crank the car and throw fuel everywhere. With the ignition on can i put a test light on the fuel injector plugs, will it get power like that or do i have to crank the car? what do you guys suspect the problem is from this point?

#11 ·
update, replaced the fuse that didn't light with a fuse that did initially light and that fuse didn't light so must be ok. Also i used the test light and there is power at both the injector connections. I also did a diagnostic check with the climate control and it displayed -1.8.8, then 26, 52 and 53, the sequence flashed like two or three times and the final # was .7.0, so don't know if that means anything to anyone.

#13 ·
i tried that and nothing was squirting out, so i have since removed the main housing that contains the 2 injectors. So im looking on youtube to try and make something where i can test to see if injectors will spray. And i'm trying to pinpoint problem to either injectors or ecm.

#15 ·
I have a Buick with this issue and I haven't figured it out yet. I'm hoping to get a clue here. I never thought of the fuel injection fuses. A lot of Caddy's and Buicks have another set of fuses under the hush panel on the passenger side. I don't know if the 84 Deville does or not. You should try to find those fuel injection fuses though. It does sound like the fuel injectors just aren't getting power like mine.

#16 ·
I have yet to test injectors but i have them out and will do so very soon. I believe that it's going to be the ecm, but i want to be thorough so i don't have to repeat any steps. I'm having a hard time finding a tube large enough to encase the injectors so that i can pressurize the tube, and apply power to check the spray pattern. So ill let you guys know the results from the injector test.

#23 ·
Your spinning your wheels until you check the fuel pressure.
The other thing to check is are the injector pulsing.
Unplug the injectors. Plug in a injector noid light. See if the light flashes when cranking. Test both injector plugs.
Could probibly use a test light, but injector noid lights don't cost much & are safer.

There are many possibilities but you need to test to determin if it is a fuel pressure / delivery problem or a computer / sensor / wiering problem.

Be carefull with open fuel lines and turning the key on. Spraying starting fluid. Or dumping fuel down the throttle body. I seen more than my share of fuel fires.

#24 ·
Hello All,
I'm new here and have searched already so just be patient with me. With that being said, this is my first Caddy. It's a 84 Deville w/4.1 and it wont start. Long story short 2nd fuel pump later and i am now hearing it prime when key in ignition. Changed fuel filter, tightened it all up, let it prime several times to re-pressurize system and fuel line from filter, to solid line has hole and leaks. Change line, try to start car and will not start. The car turns over, and will start every time with starting fluid but not seeing fuel squirt from the 2 injectors. What else can i look at as the problem. Thanks
I had a similar problem with one of my Fieros on it's first start up after winter storage.
Did everything right, cranked, had spark and fuel pressure, but nothing coming from it's single and only injector. A good friend and mechanic came by, looked it over and said "got a hammer?" With that "what are you going to do with a hammer?" look on my face, he instructed me to get in the car and crank it. I did and it started.
What he did was lightly tap the injector to free it up. I also use StaBil before winter storage on all my cars which I didn't before when this happened. Haven't had a problem since.
To sum up, put it back together and give the injectors a tap while cranking it.
Of course if you have them out now, you could just tap them now and reinstall them. Some times the best fixes are the simplest one.

Billy Joel said it best: He's trading in his Chevy for a Cadillacyackyackyackyack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.