Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, im new here and was just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem or new of anyone that has

I drive a 1984 caddy Sedan DeVille 4.1 DFI 4dr RWD as my beater car for work
the brake line that runs on the driver side of the car has a small rust spot on it and there is brake fluid leaking out when i hit the brakes due to pressure

i was wondering if i could get a price on that item (brake line)
or if there was an easy fix to this problem

but for now just gonna drive it to work and home (15mins) shouldnt hurt it for now

:devillaug

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
A Cadillac as a beater?! Say it ain't so! Oh, it's a HT4100. Anyway, this is a common problem where they salt the roads, and the fix usually entails replacing the whole line in the case of rust damage. If it is localized, you can cut that section out, and put new fittings and a new section of line in, but that is usually reserved for mechanical damage on long runs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey man thanks for the info.
and BTW i am selling this car for a resonable price
somewhere around $1000
starting to accumalate too many vehicles in my driveway

:devillaugh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
DIABLO said:
hey man thanks for the info.
and BTW i am selling this car for a resonable price
somewhere around $1000
starting to accumalate too many vehicles in my driveway

:devillaugh:

During a road trip this past summer just outside of chicago, my brakeline near the right side rear wheel failed due to corrosion. Fortunately, it broke in the gas station when i was filling up, not when i was doing 80 on the interstate. The mechanic that fixed the damage told me that DOT recented mandated that only steel and stainless steel brakelines are DOT approved, but the lines used in my 92 deville are tin and thats why they corroded (i live in MN). Good thing you're selling your car though, cuz then you wont have to worry about them rupturing.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
Mine is 95 Sedan DeVille and when I look the pipings from the
master cylinder to the ABS thing under the hood, they look
all rusty. This makes me worry. Putting salt on the road isn't
very good to cars...

Does anybody know when that new DOT approval became in
effect? Hope it was before 95...

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Brake lines rust and it's not unusual to have to replace them because they rusted through :eek: Don't worry about it until it happens :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd worry about it a whole lot. Loss of brakes is NOT a fun experience. Perodic inspection is in order and replacement should be done before the rusting gets severe. If its to the point where fluid is leaking, the line should be replaced YESTERDAY. It could fail completely and who knows what shape the other lines may be in. Murphy's law and a little bit of physics says it will fail abruptly when you need your brakes the most. If it won't run, you just sit there. If it won't stop, you are driving around in a weapon, not a car.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Big Jim said:
I'd worry about it a whole lot. Loss of brakes is NOT a fun experience. Perodic inspection is in order and replacement should be done before the rusting gets severe. If its to the point where fluid is leaking, the line should be replaced YESTERDAY. It could fail completely and who knows what shape the other lines may be in. Murphy's law and a little bit of physics says it will fail abruptly when you need your brakes the most. If it won't run, you just sit there. If it won't stop, you are driving around in a weapon, not a car.
Yes you do have to worry about loosing brakes. But you don't have to run to a mechanic every time you see rust on your brake lines. It's the hoses that you should be more worried about. :holycrap:

It's pretty easy to see what kind of shape the other lines are in, you look at them. Just because one is bad doesn't mean they're all bad :suspect:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts