Cadillac Owners Forum banner

721 - 740 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Race season almost here!!!!

Too bad its in pieces right now. Had a noise that I was chasing, rocker assembly clearance issues. Also shaved the heads thirty thou to bring compression up a little bit.

Found a place in the head that I burned thru while porting. Tiny pinholes, putting paste behind it, should be no problem.

But it'll be together soon. I'm excited about this year's race season. Gotta lighten it up a little also.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
So...got it running correctly a couple weeks ago and then went out and raced a Challenger R/T. We did four pulls from 60mph and I slowly pulled away each time...I was having the greatest day ever.

Then, on the last race, the alt/water pump belt comes off and the temp sky rockets. I couldn't get it pulled over for another 45 seconds. Fluid all over everything including the side of the car that I just washed 20 minutes before. Get another belt on and get it home where it took half a day to cool down.

Put another thermostat and radiator cap on it and it survived the incident. Been driving it for a week now with no problems, temp stays at 200-210 even in traffic. There was a few days when I thought it was a goner. These old high nickel blocks can take a serious beating. And this is with a .035 shave of the heads. Someone was looking after my car that day.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,109 Posts
I know it's too late... but for next time: turn off the engine, you can still coast/steer/brake. One click back, not off (obviously). No power steering, no power brakes (after the first push), but it will drive fine with effort.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
825 Posts
Oh yeah, she looks all business yet understated. If it was mine I would pretty it up just a little with a narrow molding half way up (just the stick on stuff) and a Cadillac wreath on the sail panel. She looks awesome though and we all know how much work it was. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,109 Posts
Pics probably don't work because photobucket are corporate ransom artists. There is no way I'm paying what they want, and, there is no way I'm going back through 8k posts to fix all the info I've posted. GD scumbags.

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance - 1969 Coupe DV (R.I.P.)
655 Posts
I hear ya. I've been using postimages.org... no problems yet.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
i switched to imgbb after photobucket wanted $400 a year for image hosting...

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
825 Posts
I have always used postimage and imgur because they didn't try to put malware in my computer. photocrap has been tracking you guys for years. I don't know why they didn't make enough money from that activity.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #733 (Edited)
This is just crazy. Ten years worth of photos just gone? I just sent them an email. Ten years, 2100 photos and 9 videos gone...unexceptable.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Yeah. You'll have to re-upload them on another host.

Photobucket just put the nail in their proverbial coffin. RIP.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #737
Sept 8-10th is the big weekend. Brainerd International raceway is doing a three part event...drag racing, road course, drift course that I'll be going to. I may even do the drift course since there was another 80s coupe out there doing it.

Click on the pics to see them since my emails to photosucket didn't get me anywhere.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #739
I had a blast at BIR!
I went 12.95 @ 102mph.
I don't have my slip with me but 60 was like 1.72 I think.
Car weights 4265lbs with me in it, 4015 alone.
The bad news....the damn fan belt came off again and she overheated. I got smoke out of the drivers exhaust, probably a head gasket. I don't really mind taking it apart since it's so easy and cheap to replace gaskets, as long as no cracks are found, I'm happy.
My first two runs put me at 13.3 @ 100mph so I went and adjusted timing, got 12.95, went for the forth run and the belt goes. It didn't get real hot cause I shut it down at the end of the track. The other time it overheated probably did the real damage. The track is an NHRA track so it's prepped well and the tires hooked no problem. Staged at 3k rpm and smashed to the floor at the light. Shifting at 6400 rpm. Got the parts on order now so it should be up in a couple weeks. Pics maybe, they posted a couple live feeds at the track on Facebook(Brainerd International Raceway). I'm on one at one hour, fifty nine minutes. It's the one that I lost the belt but you can see how good it launched.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Nice! That's pretty good!

So a rudimentary horsepower/ET/MPH calculator estimates you're in the ~380-390hp range. That's pretty kick ass.

And it kinda gives me hope for my goal of running a 12.99 in the wagon lol

721 - 740 of 759 Posts