Cadillac Owners Forum banner

701 - 720 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
Sam.... have you thought of lowering the driver's seat a bit? Just enough to give you that bit of headroom you need? It seems a shame to waste all that work and have to either Mickey a patch into the hole or get rid of the body.

Cheers..............R.
Always say "you can't beat lateral thinking" BUT, given the amount of stuff under a Caddy seat, is that really practicable - or even possible?

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
If all goes well, the old motor will be out tonight. Wanted to go tear up the city one last time but the tabs expired and I'm not getting new ones till the new motor is in.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Got a little more work done. The Dominator I bought doesnt work for some reason. It didn't work at the dyno either, we had to use the shop carb, another Dominator. So I haven't got my Dominator fixed, I used a carb adapter to get the 870 Holley back on instead. It runs good, nice and sharp. Still got some work to make it road worthy. First thing, gotta find a way to get the hood to close. I probably need 3 or 4" more of clearance.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
I just drove it down the block...wow! It was too late to hit the gas, its loud even with the exhaust on. Looking at hood scoops now but really want someone to make a fiberglass hood for me with a scoop.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
it would be a pretty cool project to make your own fiberglass hood. You can use your existing hood as a buck/template. Cover it in something like aluminum foil so the fiberglass won't stick to the hood and give it a shot. What do you have to lose except some time and a little money for materials? :D

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,109 Posts
I think a 69 Camaro or 70 Chevelle scoop would look ok. Fiberglass is tough to work with, don't get someone to make a complete hood, just buy a scoop from Harwood/Summit/Jegs and stick it on. Easy to paint match, too.

I'm guessing you can't get enough clearance just by trimming the hood support framing?

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
I haven't looked a whole lot into the clearance issue because the dominator is not on. I have the old 870 holley with a two inch adapter(dominator to 4150). When I get the dominator on, I'll take a harder look. I'd love to have a fiberglass hood because of the weight savings and one person removal feature but it would be expensive. If I could find an aluminum hood, that would be cool too. I'm thinking a front facing hood scoop.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
You think glass'd be expensive - & you're thinking about ally? :confused:

Either way, big hole in the hood - & a shaker scoop! :yup:

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
An update, got the dominator on and running good and it all fit under the hood without touching. Learning a lot about fine tuning and reading spark plugs. Got a lifter tick that comes after five minutes and gets quieter after its up to temp. Diagnosing this tick and making sure its just a lifter and not clearance issues. Also have a miss that I think is related to the old custom made wires from a few years ago. This thing is just an animal thought, I can do burnouts rolling at about 20/25 miles an hour.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Where's the video of that, though

That's what we wanna see!

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
Trying to figure what size slicks will fit and spent some quality time with the car. Not many options for putting a slick under the skirts. I can fit 29/10.5/15s with an 8" rim but can't find much for rim options since I want a skinny front tire. I found some smoothies, 15x8 for the rear and 15x6 for the front. anybody got any other ideas for getting a slick under there?

Just not sure of the look of a smoothie, here they are on ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331363977626

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,109 Posts
If you want to go cheap and stock GM, for the rear: 5x5 15x8s can be found on 80s Suburbans and G Vans, and front: 15x6 are available on any 71-76 GM RWD full size. Please, run wire hubcaps on them! lol

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
Definitely would run hubcaps if I got some steelies lol. I was able to find some rims though. Centerline Competition Series Dragster. This setup is strictly for the track use so I'm gonna order that rim in 15x4 for the front.

701 - 720 of 759 Posts