Cadillac Owners Forum banner

681 - 700 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Wow Sam, looks great!

Sam, have you tried a fit on your starter? That oil line looks as if it might interfere with mounting the starter. The oil line clip seems to be using the starter support bracket bolt hole.

Cheers...............R.
Good eye!
That is what separates the pro's around here from guys like me.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
So got some more parts for the motor...Got a custom cam coming about three weeks out. Heads back at machine shop for final cleaning and to help locate the new beehive springs.

Hydraulic rollers!...

Powermaster starter..

Better timing chain..

In the process of rebuilding the Dominator..fun stuff

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Sam........back to the oil balancing line. You said, "Oil balancing line to get more oil to the rear. Some will say the motor starves at the back and this should keep it in check." I'm having trouble with this because under hard acceleration, inertia would pile all the oil against back end of the oil pan. With your oil transfer line won't you be adding to the pile of oil building at the back end of the engine? I'd hate to see you starve your new engine for oil on your first balls-to-the-wall dash. A strategically placed baffle in the bottom of the pan might be more useful? There must be a racing website where you could get a sensible suggestion or answer for this perceived problem.

Cheers...........R.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
It is to balance the oil as it flows through the engine galleys. The passenger side galley has to feed three mains and I believe three cam bearings making it have a little less pressure in general. A lot of bearings that get spun on these motors are the ones fed from the passenger side galley.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
I decided on a glittery finish for the tranny pan. Still works fine but something is missing. Another rebuild kit and front pump is in the near future. Anybody have a front pump they want to donate? I'm gonna rebuild the good tranny I took out of the car, not this one.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Made some progress. Rebuilt the Dominator, got the custom roller cam in, roller lifters, put the heads together... Gotta put the bottom of the motor together now and get ready to yank the old one..

Beehive springs. 160 closed, 420 open as the cam manufacture calls for

Roller lifters. Most excited about these.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
I'm getting excited!!! Just gotta find the time. Took forever to degree the cam. I was just confusing myself watching all the videos when the cam card had plain instructions on the back.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Just waiting on pushrods for the motor.

Anybody know what I can do to cover up the hole in the roof if I take the sunroof out?

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
make a metal or fiberglass replacement in the same shape as the glass and seal it over where the glass was? Depends how detailed you want to get with it. You could even weld in some sheet metal and with enough finish work it would look like a normal hard top.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
I was afraid those two answers would show up, not sure I'd have the skill to make it look as good as I'd want by sealing the glass or deleting it myself.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sam.........why would you want to seal your sunroof up? Are the drain channel tubes not in place? Or did you not install them? Is water the problem or do you just not like the sunroof? I sealed the leaking sunroof on my wife's Lexus ES 300 by using a semi soft black electrical tape and carefully sealing the glass to the outside roof panel. It (the tape) doesn't seem to like cold weather so the life expectancy of the seal adhesion is about six months. Then I had to do it over again. Since the car is black, no one has ever noticed the Mickey Mouse tape-seal.

Cheers..............R.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
I just don't really like it. Its has a cool factor but it limits headspace. I can have the glass closed but can't have shade covering it without it rubbing my head. It adds weight to the car also, maybe 70 pounds.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
There must be easier ways of shedding 70lbs - if that's really so important.

As for headroom, keep it open unless conditions really don't allow it. :)

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Greetings!
That drag racing bug got you hard! I remeber seeing your coupe on a rotisserie way back in your thread. Crazy. Well...... You do have the skills and tools to do the easiest thing. Ready? Buy a new coupe shell, an 80-81 for the 12-bolt and exchange bodies. It's extreme, but you WILL get your money back. Who wouldn't want a clean coupe with a sunroof?? While body is in the air, gut it, cut it, chop it, roll cage-it, and make it rust-proof. At the stage of power you are and dedication, this is my best advice. Or, add a turbo! Have fun.
Peace

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sam.... have you thought of lowering the driver's seat a bit? Just enough to give you that bit of headroom you need? It seems a shame to waste all that work and have to either Mickey a patch into the hole or get rid of the body.

Cheers..............R.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I think the only way to fill the hole correctly would be to find a donor roof. I don't think a flat piece of sheet metal will fit right. I could be wrong though. I am finding that I don't use a moon roof all that much but I would probably live with it if I had one. Usually Caddy seats can go petty low too.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
I'm not sure if the seat can go any lower but I don't think I have any real way of getting rid of the sunroof without drastic measures so it will stay.

681 - 700 of 759 Posts