Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if the transmission crossmember is different than other around that time?
i would think the 368 one would work...i know it would
it has a blown up 4.1 and its just dying for a 500
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question but I will welcome you to the board.
I know you registered quite a while ago......It's nice to see around here and posting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lux hauler said:
I don't have an answer to your question but I will welcome you to the board.
I know you registered quite a while ago......It's nice to see around here and posting.


Well it doesnt seem like this board is too suited to what im interested in but i try and support the LUX engine anyway i can.
I havent had a cadillac with a cadillac engine for a couple years as i usually just discard the body and stick the engine and tranny in the extra pile but this coupe is pretty nice for an Ohio car.
did you ever get that 500 inch project up and running ?
later JW
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
JWalker said:
Well it doesnt seem like this board is too suited to what im interested in but i try and support the LUX engine anyway i can.
I havent had a cadillac with a cadillac engine for a couple years as i usually just discard the body and stick the engine and tranny in the extra pile but this coupe is pretty nice for an Ohio car.
did you ever get that 500 inch project up and running ?
later JW
The motor is at the machine shop now.

I'm not in much of a hurry, with winter setting in. My plans are to have it on the road by mid spring. That gives me plenty of time to get the mechanical stuff in order. The body will wait until the following winter.

What year is the coupe?

I'd like to find a 70's Deville but finding one in this area, without swiss cheese sheetmetal, is kinda hard to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lux hauler said:
The motor is at the machine shop now.

I'm not in much of a hurry, with winter setting in. My plans are to have it on the road by mid spring. That gives me plenty of time to get the mechanical stuff in order. The body will wait until the following winter.

What year is the coupe?

I'd like to find a 70's Deville but finding one in this area, without swiss cheese sheetmetal, is kinda hard to do.
ITs an 84
champaine outside and brown and burgundy inside
winter mini project is a 500 and th400
probably headers
just a mild driver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
J,
Bolts right in. I have an '81 with a 500. The '80-'84's are the same. When I installed the Olds 350 in my '84 Coupe I first used the TH200/4R. I will installing a 500 in this car also to replace the 350. When the 200/4R went, I just replaced it with a rebuilt TH400. The crossmember accepted the TH400 with no problem. The car frame has two sets of holes for the crossmember. I also used the factory driveshaft. The TH400 is only 11/16" longer (with the short tailhousing) than the TH200/R4. To use a TH400 (instead of a TH375), you need to get the larger TH400 32 spline yoke. You also need '80-'84 RWD 368 motor mounts. I am not sure if they are the same as the ones on your 500. It might be a good idea to replace them anyway because of age. The 4100 frame mounts work. The only clearance problem (which won't affect you) is the passenger exhaust manifold on the 472/500 at the front. To use the 472/500 manifold, you have to "clearance" the front of the upper A-arm.
While I have not installed a 500 in my '84 yet, I have installed a 368 to replace a 4100 in my '82 Coupe. The engine came out of an '80 Coupe. The 500 is in the same 368/425/472/500 family.
You're in for one fun ride in an early 80's RWD Caddy powered by a 500.

JWalker said:
ITs an 84
champaine outside and brown and burgundy inside
winter mini project is a 500 and th400
probably headers
just a mild driver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cadillac Pat said:
J,
Bolts right in. I have an '81 with a 500. The '80-'84's are the same. When I installed the Olds 350 in my '84 Coupe I first used the TH200/4R. I will installing a 500 in this car also to replace the 350. When the 200/4R went, I just replaced it with a rebuilt TH400. The crossmember accepted the TH400 with no problem. The car frame has two sets of holes for the crossmember. I also used the factory driveshaft. The TH400 is only 11/16" longer (with the short tailhousing) than the TH200/R4. To use a TH400 (instead of a TH375), you need to get the larger TH400 32 spline yoke. You also need '80-'84 RWD 368 motor mounts. I am not sure if they are the same as the ones on your 500. It might be a good idea to replace them anyway because of age. The 4100 frame mounts work. The only clearance problem (which won't affect you) is the passenger exhaust manifold on the 472/500 at the front. To use the 472/500 manifold, you have to "clearance" the front of the upper A-arm.
While I have not installed a 500 in my '84 yet, I have installed a 368 to replace a 4100 in my '82 Coupe. The engine came out of an '80 Coupe. The 500 is in the same 368/425/472/500 family.
You're in for one fun ride in an early 80's RWD Caddy powered by a 500.
thanks Pat
the engine performance and engine mounts ive got covered
i was unsure of the transmission crossmember and if they made a different one
not sure if i was real clear on that one
the only thing that sucks about this car to date is the 7.5 inch ten bolt
im sure about one burnout(one wheel peel) and that thing would be up in smoke
so ill be looking for a 8.5 out of a hearse or impala with a limited slip and a driveshaft out of a 368 or 425 powered coupe
I was told by one of my customers that some cop cars had dual exhaust crossmembers so ill be trying to scarfe one of those on my next boneyard trip
thanks for the advice ill be doing this swap soon and i have a feeling ill be adding headers to the mix also........gotta have it sound decent
later..JW
 

·
Registered
1979 CDV father/son project
Joined
·
31 Posts
Hey,

I just put a 500 in a 79 CDV and have done a bunch of research on headers.

I've been dealing with Cad Company (Flashcraft) they are about to start manufacturing headers for the C-body Caddies with 368/425/472/500 in them. I just spoke to Chris today and the plan is to have them produced and ready for sale in the next couple of months.

FYI - MTS says Sanderson 500 and 600s will not fit. I spoke directly to Marty. Don't bother calling Sanderson, they have no clue...

Other options:

A) A custom built set - big $$$$.

B) Take a set of BBC headers, cut off the flanges and weld a set of BB Caddies flanges on. BBC and BB Caddies share the same exhaust port spacing. This is what Jeff Schwartz did with his headers.

NOTE: Due to the fact BB Caddies don't rev very high, you don't want huge primaries. The reco from Cad Company is to go with 1.75" primaries on mild build-ups; they will make better torque.

If anyone has more info, feel free to correct me.

Good luck with you builds.

Cheers,
Mark
 

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
Hello JWalker... your name is known to the cadillac world... There is a John Walker who is a vendor, Torque Inc. ,he builds Caddy motors and sells parts..
good luck with your project...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top