Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. I am trying to replace the front pump seal on the 325-4L tranny in my 83 Seville. I don't have a pump seal installer and can't get one from the internet in time. I have to fix this car this next weekend before moving acrossed the country.
I was thinking I could lightly tap it in by working around the seal with a block of wood and a hammer. Unfortunately when I pulled the motor, I put the new seal in place and then put the motor back to return the engine hoist I rented. Of course now I can't get to my new seal, and so I don't even have the diameter to work with to try to find a pvc pipe or something.
Has anyone changed their pump seal without an install tool? If so, could you please tell me how you did it? I plan to finish this job this coming up weekend. BTW: I elected to pull the motor instead of the tranny because I don't trust transmission jacks much and pulling the motor was much more familiar than trying to align a transmission with the motor and drive unit at the same time. Thanks for any help, James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured it out for myself and successfully installed the seal only to have the tranny still leak. Since it did not leak while running, and apparently not while sitting, I suspected the sticking TCC Solenoid might have been preventing fluid from the torque converter from being able to drain back into the transmission. So right after shut-off it would dump fluid. Then it would drip for a while, but probably just the fluid from the initial dump.
Replacing the TCC Solenoid did the trick, and my Caddy is saved. Maybe someone else won't spend over 24 hours pulling the motor like I did to replace a seal that's not bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts