Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Seville (standard)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So last week, my master cylinder gave up and I was able to slow the car down enough to do as little damage as I could with hitting a tree (it was either that or a pickup, so I guess we gotta go with the tree).

I looked at the damage and it doesn't seem that bad, so I went over to pick n pull and pulled a new fender. I was going to also pull the bumper but on this car it was actually in worse shape.

So I'm wondering, do I bang out this bumper and all the other little things that got slightly bent, and fit the fender? Or should I hold out until I can source a bumper and the rest of the front passenger structural stuff? Would it do damage to the car to kind of "make it work for now?" I am leaving the country for 4 months next month and am trying to figure out what to do.

Here's a photo attached as a reference to the damage.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
A good body man MIGHT be able to straighten out that fender. Only an estimate will tell for sure.

·
Registered
1983 Seville (standard)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too worried about the fender. I found another one that is in great shape just doesn't match. What I am concerned about is the bumper. Most of the bumpers I've found are pretty beat up. And from what I understand, the Eldo bumpers won't fit this car.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
I'm sure a body shop can straighten that bumper.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Bumpers are usually sent to a vendor who exchanges the bumper. Might ask a body shop who they use.

·
Registered
1983 Seville (standard)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. So I pulled off the old fender and put the new one on. Unfortunately after pulling off the old one I saw a little bit of frame bent, passenger side, on the upper rail where the fender bolts on. Hammered a fair bit of that out. The bumper won't straighten, so I think before I go to get a body shop to straighten it, I could run back up to Chico and get the metal from the bumper on another Seville and put the rubber on that.

I think most of the distortions that are making the fender fit a little tight are coming still from the f'd up bumper. But the fender (without fillers) seems to fit "good enough for now" and all the lights lined up fine.

Do you think I should pull additional parts of the front end when I go back up there, just in case I need them?

Cheers
-Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts