Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home yesterday when my car died. I checked the fuse and replaced, it drove fine for a while but now it just keeps blowing the fuse as soon as i turn the ignition to ON without even starting. I suspect it鈥檚 sonething more under the hood than the fuel tank. I think maybe some wires got wet as I had a coolant leak not long ago near heater core. Any suggestions? I tried cleaning a brown/blue wiring connector. It started then the fuse blew again. 馃槖

Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
Wiring problems or high resistance fuel pump motor windings/connectors.

Registered
96 FWB
Yah, if you're lucky it's just an almost 40-year old wire outside that's chafed and grounded. Less lucky and it's inside the tank. Least lucky it's a break inside a harness.

Registered
1980 FBC
IIRC the oil pressure switch has a pair of contacts electrically isolated from the idiot lamp normally open contacts.

They run in parallel with the fuel pump power feed. Years of oil and crud can make things pretty ugly at the molded connector to the oil pressure switch.

That would be the first place to look.

Additionally, you could carefully supply power through an ammeter to the pump harness to see if it works OK or is wacked inside the tank. It's possible to have a short in or near the pump itself but that is not a normal failure mode. If you elect to try this trick be 100% sure to also include the proper size and type fuse in series with the feed.

Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
If I was trying to find this short I would just unplug the plug wire at the tank to the pump. Now see if it blows a fuse. If it blows disconnected, its before the tank. If it don't blow it's in the tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I think I found my issue. The three wires going to that oil sensor are trash. All scraped and exposed. One fell out somewhere to the engine.I鈥檓 not sure where it goes. The one on second photo.
image.jpg
image.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts