Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac Fleetwood 4.1 v8
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a distributor gear break, mechanic checked oil pressure and I had no pressure at all according to him. Put a new gear in and still no pressure. Pulled the oil pump and it looks to be in perfect condition. Ice been told that I may have spun a bearing but I've also been told that there would be a noticeable noise related to the bearing going out. My engine sounds perfect other than the click of the Rocker arms going up and down. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

·
Registered
1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
283 Posts
I don't have too much advice. I'm going through a problem with low oil pressure as well. Here are some of the diagnostic checks listed in my '84 Deville shop manual for you to look at.

low_oil_pressure2.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.... 2 of those issues seem to be directly related to the 4.1, which I have.... That doesn't make me feel to confident...

----------

There was about 1/4 inch of sludge at the bottom of the pan, I'm guessing that it's from the seafoam I put in the oil to clean the engine up. Would higher viscosity oil cause no oil to travel to the top of the engine? The pump has what I believe to be an over pressure port, I could be wrong. Also, on the pic you posted it said something about the top of the pump sealing to the body? There wasn't a seal on mine from what I could see when I took it apart. There was however remains of a smaller thin seal in the oil pan, not sure what it went to tho. I'm looking at replacing the pump, sending unit, and filter. Then testing pressure at the sending unit port.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to change the pump, sending unit, and filter then test pressure again

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the shaft before I put the distributor back in, even turned the shaft to make sure that it engaged the pump and that the pump wasn't jammed.

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
It is possible that a piece of whatever broke off is jammed in the oil pressure regulator open. Don't know where it is on that car tho.
Jeff

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've tested the pump in a pan of oil and it will kick only out no problem, I don't know how high of a pressure it will go but I do know it will cycle oil. I'm planning on pulling the oil sending unit out once I find it, and replace it after I test the new one for pressure.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I'm running out of ideas. Almost sounds like you do have oil pressure but not to the test port. I'd almost be tempted to take the valve cover off and run it for a second to see if oil is getting to the rockers(enter disclaimer). Oil sending unit? Talking about the pickup tube? Also, look into the test port hole to see if its clogged.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea what a test port is lol. That being said, I did take the valve cover off and ran it before I took the pump out, no oil was noticed coming out of the push rods. That being said, new parts are on their way. I'll test the pressure once the new pump is seated, hopefully this will fix it, if not I'm pretty much lost....

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
Don't forget to prime the new pump.

I forget if the 4.1 has a hex drive but using an electric drill to test the pump with the engine off can tell you a lot.

Let it run for 5 minutes and if you are in a quiet place you can hear oil dripping inside the engine afterwards. The drill will also let you know there's a load on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd really like to not have to pull the distributor again, it's a real pain... But yes it does have a hex bolt for the shaft. Any other suggestions so I don't have to pull the distributor? It's just way too tight back there to pull it out multiple times....

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
I know that job really is not fun. Engine fitted into car line it was not designed for.....................................................

·
Registered
1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
283 Posts
I'd really like to not have to pull the distributor again, it's a real pain... But yes it does have a hex bolt for the shaft. Any other suggestions so I don't have to pull the distributor? It's just way too tight back there to pull it out multiple times....
I just wanted to say I empathize with the pain of taking off and putting back the distributor (particularly putting it back). That became one of my LEAST favorite tasks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any suggestions on how I'll know if the shaft for the oil pump is the right length other than installing everything and turning the key?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could I take the cap off of the rotor, install the pump, and turn the shaft and see if it turns the rotor? I know I'd have to pay attention and make sure everything is back the way I found it on the distributor but would it work doing it that way? I know in the instructions it says I "MIGHT" need the 229 mm length shaft but that seriously doesn't tell me anything...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts