Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a 1983 Biarritz with about 45K miles on it in beautiful condition, but it has not been running well for some time. It seems to always start well cold, but there
is a point between warm and cold that the car will not start.(intermittent) I spay some injector cleaner - or anything flammable!- into the throttle body and the car will dependably
start and run from then on. Also, it has huge 'flat spot' in the throttle - can't seem to get much over half without the engine major stumbling. Have had the fuel pump
checked and the pressure seems OK. Error codes come up; 13,44 and 53. 'Service Now' light comes on from time to time, I can clear it and sometimes it clears its-
self. I really like this beautiful original car, but don't have lots of money to have the shop guys try different things at $100/hour + parts. Any help or similar
experiences much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,257 Posts
Hi!

I have a 1983 Biarritz with about 45K miles on it in beautiful condition, but it has not been running well for some time. It seems to always start well cold, but there
is a point between warm and cold that the car will not start.(intermittent) I spay some injector cleaner - or anything flammable!- into the throttle body and the car will dependably
start and run from then on. Also, it has huge 'flat spot' in the throttle - can't seem to get much over half without the engine major stumbling. Have had the fuel pump
checked and the pressure seems OK. Error codes come up; 13,44 and 53. 'Service Now' light comes on from time to time, I can clear it and sometimes it clears its-
self. I really like this beautiful original car, but don't have lots of money to have the shop guys try different things at $100/hour + parts. Any help or similar
experiences much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan.
========================
Have had the fuel pump checked and the pressure seems OK.
we need specifics - numbers -
seems OK is not helpful when diagnosing a problem -

Error codes come up; 13,44 and 53.
always include code DEFINITIONS along with the codes -

I really like this beautiful original car,
but don't have lots of money
to have the shop guys try different things at $100/hour + parts.

the car is 32 years old -
but with only 46K miles -
many/most of the parts could still be the original ones -

any original rubber vacuum hoses have turned brittle -
and are probably leaking -

do you have any service history? -
when was complete tune-up last done - etc -

you could get a crash course on auto mechanics -
the FSM - Factory Service Manual - would be invaluable -
and I found a real deal for you -
$27.90 - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-ELDORADO-FLEETWOOD-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-BINDER-OEM-/400754856010?hash=item5d4ed9d04a&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Not to be rude but anyone that decides to drive a32 year old car better be a better than average mechanic or know one! I agree, get the factory service manual and bone up. Regarding the flat spot, my bet is on a deteriorated MAP sensor vacuum hose or a dead spot on the TPS. Understand that this car is older than most mechanics! The closest vehicle with this fuel injection system was the mid 80's Chevy trucks when they first went to fuel injection, so find someone who's familiar with that system and hand him your new service manual.

·
Registered
Eldorado
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thanks for your prompt reply! Sorry to be vague on the details, but what I was hoping for is someone who had experienced the same symptoms and had a solution.
As you likely have heard in time past - as I have - a story of someone who had a problem, and had replaced a long series of parts, only to find the last part replaced (usually easy to work on and
not expensive) corrected the problem! At any rate, code 13 is Ox sensor open, 44 is Ox sensor lean exhaust, and 53 is Batt Volt error or EGR. You are also right in suggesting that many
parts are original and there could easily be a vacuum leak. I can use the old propane trick to find the leak! Anyway, the car has done a lot of sitting as indicated by it's low mileage,
but I hope to get it running well again without a long list of replaced parts. BTW, I do have a shop manual. And also a 39 Chev which is obviously much older...

Thanks for your input!
Dan.

----------

Thanks for your prompt response! I was hoping that someone out there had experienced the same symptoms and could lead me to the solution rather than going through everything and
replacing a lot of parts unnecessarily. For example, I have a 91 Eldorado that the driver's door would power lock, but not unlock. Without going into details, it turned out to be a penny
in the bottom of the lighter, shorting out the power to the lock! Will have a look at the MAP sensor hose, and use the old propane trick to see if there are any vacuum leaks. I do have a
service manual, and also a 39 Chev so have some mechanical abilities, just not the place and tools to do a lot of work myself.
Thanks again for your input, will try your suggestions.
Dan.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,257 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for your prompt reply! Sorry to be vague on the details, but what I was hoping for is someone who had experienced the same symptoms and had a solution.
As you likely have heard in time past - as I have - a story of someone who had a problem, and had replaced a long series of parts, only to find the last part replaced (usually easy to work on and
not expensive) corrected the problem! At any rate, code 13 is Ox sensor open, 44 is Ox sensor lean exhaust, and 53 is Batt Volt error or EGR. You are also right in suggesting that many
parts are original and there could easily be a vacuum leak. I can use the old propane trick to find the leak! Anyway, the car has done a lot of sitting as indicated by it's low mileage,
but I hope to get it running well again without a long list of replaced parts. BTW, I do have a shop manual. And also a 39 Chev which is obviously much older...

Thanks for your input!
Dan.

----------

Thanks for your prompt response! I was hoping that someone out there had experienced the same symptoms and could lead me to the solution rather than going through everything and
replacing a lot of parts unnecessarily. For example, I have a 91 Eldorado that the driver's door would power lock, but not unlock. Without going into details, it turned out to be a penny
in the bottom of the lighter, shorting out the power to the lock! Will have a look at the MAP sensor hose, and use the old propane trick to see if there are any vacuum leaks. I do have a
service manual, and also a 39 Chev so have some mechanical abilities, just not the place and tools to do a lot of work myself.
Thanks again for your input, will try your suggestions.
Dan.
=========================

44 is Ox sensor lean exhaust
vacuum leak - great place to start -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts