Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 sedan deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up all i have a 82 sedan deville that doesnt get used much the other day i tok it on a long drive and the next time i used it it stalled out on me while i was driving it. i figured the fuel filter went through some old fuel so i changed it and it was fine for a day. the next time i used it the car was fine a cruising speed but when i gave it decent pedal it would almost stall out or coast until i eased up on the pedal now it wont start havent had time to mess with it for few days but last time it started with a little fuel down the carb. and yes it is the dreaded 4100:banghead:

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
hmmm...something similar was going on with my 87 a while back...was the carb...needed to be rebuilt. check to make sure that it's shooting fuel in properly when the accelerator is pushed. You should be able to see the fuel squirt in if you look down the throat.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
It's not a carburettor... You got one of those fuel injected half breeds called a throttle body.

It might be time to change the injectors. You might also want to have the fuel pump tested (you can do it yourself if you know how) to see if it is building enough pressure or can supply the engine with enough fuel.

·
Registered
1982 sedan deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think since it wasnt used for a while it got gunk clogged in fuel filter. when i changed it it was ok first day. i was looking at the manual and i saw that under the injectors there is a filter u think that is clogged possibly. also is it a possibility the fuel lines are clogged going to mess with it tomorrow so any input would help. i am not too farmiliar with the tbi injection system. i remember on the quadrajet on my old k5 there is a filter on the fuel inlet simple to change. is there only one fuel filter on this car ,thanks

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
There is only one filter but, like Outsider said, you will be able to see the fuel shooting out of both injectors in a nice cone like spray. My bet is on the fuel pump. Can you hear it prime when you turn the key to run?

·
Registered
1982 sedan deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont think so will check tomorrow. is it possible for the pump to get clogged because i am pretty sure fuel is mixture of old old stuff with new fuel and i also put a bottle of sta-bil a while back

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
The fuel pump has a screen around it (can be called a filter) that can get clogged with tank debris. But the pump itself can't get clogged.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
To get the URL, you need right click the image and select View Image or click on it until the picture comes up in it's own browser window. Copy the the address from the address bar (at the top of the page) and paste it into the "Insert Image" Box (
).

·
Registered
1982 sedan deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks will try it. also was messing with the car today . it would only start when primed but after running it for a while ran smoother so took it around the block and would hesitate when given throttle but picked up better after a while . i will try it tomorrow when it cools off thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts